Best College SCUBA Club?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USC, her grandpa already knows one of the dive instructors there. :D

UC Santa Barbara. Excellent biology program and an exceptionally active dive club. You can dive the kelp beds in front of the marine science building. Hard school to get into though.

I'm not sure how you rate a "good scuba club."

One of the dive boats I frequent runs trips for the Rutgers Scuba Club to wrecks. I've been with them a few times and they have some very good dive masters who keep an eye on the new divers and help them get their experience.

I'm a little jealous to see all these college kids with their brand new scuba gear, paid for with my tax dollars, while I'm using my old gear, because I can't afford new gear, because taxes are so high in NJ! :idk:

One of the most fun (active) Scuba clubs in Florida is UCF. The Knight Divers just know how to have fun.

Texas A&M-Galveston has well regarded marine sciences program and I believe they have an active dive community there.

I teach scuba at UF, and am in charge of the advanced class for the scientific diving program. Our scuba program is structured like a traditional academic diving program (semester long program), but with a focus on developing scientific divers for our fisheries department. The advanced class includes rescue, cpr/1st aid/o2/aed, nitrox, and the academic content in the NAUI master scuba diver program. It meets the pre-reqs for AAUS certification.

I also do IT work for the college that our Biology department is in. Our biology program is top notch with some amazing faculty.

Personally, I would not pick a university based solely on the scuba program. But...

I'd be happy to answer any questions about either program via pm.

Thanks, man. The 'adjoining state tuition' is a small factor,but she is prepared to go as far as necessary to find a college/university that seems to be a good fit. Looking around Boston, for example, there are about a hundred, (!!!), schools. Florida is interesting to her, but she wants to look over the landscape before making a decision. Her high school's guidance counselor doesn't have many good suggestions other than in-state and adjoining state schools.
She's on her own. Well, except for us.

DC
Florida has quite a few active dive clubs..

UF is just a hop n jump from Ginnie Springs too.. :wink:

University of Miami has a very active scuba club and a very nice marine campus.

UM SCUBA
| The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science at the University of Miami
UM is good.
Also look at UCF (University of Central Florida), and FAU (Florida Atlantic University)

All diving in the Galveston area is boat diving - either out to the rigs or Flower Gardens/Stetson Bank. It's too cloudy and flat inshore. I have a friend who lives there and he takes his boat out to the rigs - it's a day trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom