Best diving destination for late October-Nov - departing from Singapore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NZAnna

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
HI all,

I am going on a work trip from NZ to Singapore in October and therefore plan to add on a weeks diving in Asia afterwards. I was thinking a liveaboard in the Maldives, but I am aware there are loads of great destinations nearby from Indo, to Malaysia, Philippines etc. I'm just not sure where would best suit for this time o year?

I really really really want to dive with Whale sharks, so if there was anywhere in season at that time that would be great! I'm not super experienced, and still suffer from slow descents (always had trouble equalising) so I'm not 100% sure about the Maldives liveaboard. Overall I love seeing the big sea creatures over macro stuff, so am open to anywhere that would be teeming with fish life/sharks/turtles/mantas etc at this time of year.

So any suggestions would be very welcome!
Thanks

How about snorkeling with whaleshark at Oslob(Philippines)?
Moalboal has friendly sites for the inexperienced and most of the operators would organize a day trip to Oslob on demand. School of sardines is the main attraction and the reef around the area is healthy. Turtles? Yes but not shark and manta.
I believe you can fly directly to Cebu City from Singapore and Moalboal is only about 2-3hrs by public bus(US$4.00).
Ocean Safari Philippines(Panagsama Beach) is my suggestion and there are plenty of others along that stretch of land. The beach probably existed long long time ago !!!!

Hi there,

There are several good options for diving around Singapore in October. This whale shark calendar might help with your research regarding the largest sharks in the sea. Here are just a few of our favorite destinations:

1. Thailand - Depending on which part of October you are traveling, the Similan Islands open up in the second half of the month. Outside of the Maldives, this is probably your best best to naturally find a whale shark in Asia in October. It’s a liveaboard only destination, and make sure to look for an itinerary that includes Richileiu Rock.
2. Raja Ampat - You might also see whale sharks in Raja Ampat. Cenderawasih Bay is a hotspot, but they might be seen anywhere in the region.
3. Maldives - As you said before, the Maldives is a great place for whale sharks. Plus, you might get mantas and other sharks as well. We would argue that even beginners can dive in the central atolls.

If you have any questions, we’d be more than happy to answer them. In the meantime, happy diving!

Back
Top Bottom