Dive suggestions in the Nov/Dec? (Central America preferred)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LeggoDiveyDivey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Got some time off in Nov/Dec and have never been to Central America and I am hoping to get some insight or recommendations on where is best! Would be flying in from London, UK if that helps.

1. Mexico, La Paz and Cabo Pulmo, or Sea of Cortez
2. Costa Rica - Cocos island (Liveaboard) or Cano Island
3. Turks and Caicos (Liveaboard)
4. Bahamas / Jamaica / Caymans / Belize (totally unresearched)

Others:
4. Seychelles

My previous dive trips have been in great locations : Egypt red sea liveaboard, Maldives liveaboard. I am generally comfortable in warm waters (25C+) and can handle myself in currents, not the biggest fan of using reef hooks in Maldives though.

You can add Honduras (Roatan, Guanaja, Utilla) to the list.

Got some time off in Nov/Dec and have never been to Central America and I am hoping to get some insight or recommendations on where is best! Would be flying in from London, UK if that helps.

1. Mexico, La Paz and Cabo Pulmo, or Sea of Cortez
2. Costa Rica - Cocos island (Liveaboard) or Cano Island
3. Turks and Caicos (Liveaboard)
4. Bahamas / Jamaica / Caymans / Belize (totally unresearched)

Others:
4. Seychelles

My previous dive trips have been in great locations : Egypt red sea liveaboard, Maldives liveaboard. I am generally comfortable in warm waters (25C+) and can handle myself in currents, not the biggest fan of using reef hooks in Maldives though.
With the cost of getting to CA you might as well consider SE Asia - I fly out of Glasgow, but have found £400 cheaper from London, plus diving in the US backyard starts at about £80 per 2 tank dive. With jet lag one week isn’t enough.

I pretty much gave up on CA and now concentrate on SE Asia (Thailand etc).

With the cost of getting to CA you might as well consider SE Asia - I fly out of Glasgow, but have found £400 cheaper from London, plus diving in the US backyard starts at about £80 per 2 tank dive. With jet lag one week isn’t enough.

I pretty much gave up on CA and now concentrate on SE Asia (Thailand etc).

Thank you and it did cross my mind but I have done SE Asia too, Thailand multiple times on shore and liveaboard, Malaysia (resorts and Sipadan) and more. I might be based there in the future too so there would be chances to explore SEA then.

I did consider Australia and NZ but they are a bit too far.
You can add Honduras (Roatan, Guanaja, Utilla) to the list.
Yes those did come across my list, how far up would you rank them?

Can't go wrong with the cenotes around Tulum Mexico. Amazing dives in the jungle for all levels, plus that time of year will be Bull Shark season !!
PM if you want any more details

Thank you and it did cross my mind but I have done SE Asia too, Thailand multiple times on shore and liveaboard, Malaysia (resorts and Sipadan) and more. I might be based there in the future too so there would be chances to explore SEA then.

I did consider Australia and NZ but they are a bit too far.

Yes those did come across my list, how far up would you rank them?
Everybody has their own favorites. Guanaja is my favorite place in the entire Caribbean. I know there are a lot of Roatan fans on this forum as well.
What I like about Guanaja is that people are genuinely nice. I feel like I am visiting family when I am there. It is a small island, so it is very safe. Reefs are still in a great shape. Most of the time, I don’t see another diving boat for the entire week. So it is my kind of place.
However, you had several great diving places on the list.

You can add St Lucia as well. It is a magical place.

I’m sticking to the Title of the OP;
Central America in November December

It really lists the Wider Caribbean Basin, but my answer still holds….

In terms of weather, statistically / historically, the very worst time period to visit.

From your list a liveaboard in the Turks and Caicos would be my choice. But I also love Cozumel and have been there many times. Although I’ve been to Roatan several times it is not high on my list.

Is Palencar reef off Cozumel still attractive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom