Best Ever Diver....who do you think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Al Mialkovsky once bubbled...
I vote for Jacqueline Bisset and her wet t-shirt

:wacko: No more calls, WE HAVE A WINNER!:wacko:

Yeah, there are a couple of things about her I really like.

That's an awfully vague category with no criteria offered. I think the choice would depend very much on what was used to assess this.

Sad to see so few women listed when there are a number from the WHOF that might be considered in addition to those listed.

Jon Hardy, founder of Rodales SCUBA Lab, was an excellent diver who was based on Catalina during several stages in his life.

I once tried to make a list of the greatest divers in Catalina history for my newspaper column and between my "advisors" and myselk there were far too many to list (and it didn't include yours truly).

Of course I think the buddies I dive with are among the best divers!

Dr. Bill

Boogie711 once bubbled...
I've never heard of another Chatterton before. It's my last name. Cool...
At least, I don't think he does... Are you sure you don't mean John Chatterton of U-869 fame?

I think it's unfortunate that no one has mentioned George Irvine. I don't want to get into a character discussion, but the guy has refined (some say invented) a system that many people are now swearing by (DIR), holds several cave records, and heads a project that has a great safety record.

I know some of you don't like him, but that doesn't make his accomplishments any less.

Maybe we should have some more formal judging....give a score for each of the following:

Personal accomplishments
Contribution to dive education and safety
Innovation

Any other categories anyone can think of? I'd give a GI a 10, 10, 8

(the 8 because many of the principles of DIR were already "AROUND", but he put them all together and came up with a few of his own).

Cousteau over here and Haas over there, Exley in the technical realm..

I think Shek Exley's arch rival should be included. I don't have time to look up the spelling and it's a germin name so I don't haven't a chance but cave divers should know who I'm talking about. They kept trading world records for a number of years.

George Irvine?...certainly and accomplished diver. Before I voted for him as the greatest I would need a very clear definition of great aside from my own definition.

Cousteau might get my vote for greatest diving film maker but not greatest diver.

Its not that we dont like GI, he would rank high on my list as well. What us recreational divers dont like is his cult like following where they tell us that all recreational divers are going to die a watery grave because of stupidity. even though GI uses body bags in class to make his point I think he is an exceptional diver and contributes a lot to the technical comunity. But one also has to remember a lot of his tables were cut by using doppler after theses dives. However all his divers are in military style shape. I am guessing these tables would not work for the average overweight american. A lot of GI's accomplishments pertain to tech diving only. JJ on the other hand is the one who started GUE and seems he is more responsible for promoting dir. Just my opinion though so feel free to flame me.

Back
Top Bottom