Best meal by Restaurant in Cozumel - updated

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think pretty much anything goes. I see shorts everywhere. If we are dining somewhere on the nicer side, my husband will wear his shorts and change out his T shirt for a collard shirt. I always travel with a cotton sleveless maxi dress(Kohl's, Target and Macy's carry a ton of them). I like that it is casual and practical, but also can be dressed up with a change of shoes and a belt. I cannot stand the blast of a/c while dining or the chill of the airplane, so I like the fact that my legs are covered. Easy to roll up and pack. I absolutely, positively will not do any ironing on vacation!

Last edited:
Can't decide what's best at El Moro - the fish en papillote, the fish in Veracruz sauce, or the enchiladas in mole. Either way, I need a strong margarita after deciding.
I almost always plan on El Moro for a late Sunday lunch after diving, as it usually has Cochinita Pibil on Sundays, or the Lechon al Horn con Relleno Negro - an absolutely amazing pork dish with a sauce made with black schoolteacher paste. The juice from that dish is addictive. Love the entire El Moro menu, but Sunday afternoons there are special.

I almost always plan on El Moro for a late Sunday lunch after diving, as it usually has Cochinita Pibil on Sundays, or the Lechon al Horn con Relleno Negro - an absolutely amazing pork dish with a sauce made with black schoolteacher paste. The juice from that dish is addictive. Love the entire El Moro menu, but Sunday afternoons there are special.

That sauce is made with black achiote paste - NOT black schoolteacher paste -- DAMN the autocorrect on this iPhone!

I was looking forward to experiencing first grade again! :wink:
We actually did visit Sunday but I had to get the mole. Thanks for the tip; will try the Relleno Negro next time.

That sauce is made with black achiote paste.

No, there is no such thing as black achiote paste. The black sauce used in Relleno Negro is called Recado Negro. Its principle ingredient is charred chilis. Different recipes call for different chilis, but they are always charred, which gives the sauce the smoky flavor and the black color. Recado Negro is also called Chilmole.

No, there is no such thing as black achiote paste. The black sauce used in Relleno Negro is called Recado Negro. Its principle ingredient is charred chilis. Different recipes call for different chilis, but they are always charred, which gives the sauce the smoky flavor and the black color. Recado Negro is also called Chilmole.

The first time I had it, at Ray's recommendation ( I went specifically for the Cochinita Pibil, and Ray told me that El Moro was alternating Sundays with the Relleno Negro dish), I thought he told me that they used a black achiote paste. I could be mistaken. Anyway, it was really delicious. They had to refill the bread bowls twice, as I kept using the bread to sop up that wonderful smoky dark juice. It was GOOD!

Little tip for El Moro: Just ask Ray for a sample of the mole. He will gladly give you some to try on a chip or something. I make everyone who doesn't know it, try it before they order....

La Candela on Calle 6 and Ave 5 has great Mexican food for breakfast and lunch. Closes at 6pm.

It's hardly ever mentioned yet the food is terrific.

Do NOT miss...Cielto Lindo..... PORK SHANK...I know my caps are on and I am shouting...BUT ..., this entree is AMAZING ! The Coconut Shrimp is also FANTASTIC.... Also,....the service is Wonderful !

Double S

Back
Top Bottom