Best method to carry a 13 cu ft pony with reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not necessarily - I know plenty of divers that carry stages in this manner, usually when carrying steel cylinders which of course are negatively buoyant in the water. It is not a method I choose as it causes clutter, however, some divers still do it.
There are divers out there, around the world, that do all sorts of weird and wonderful things. The point being that cross-slinging across the body isn't a taught or approved method for any (tech) agency I can think of.

---------- Post added March 13th, 2014 at 02:22 PM ----------

Going against the trend here. I don't recommend slinging a pony for most newbie divers. When you read the posts about side slinging, they are mostly from tech divers or advanced divers who might be carrying stages or deco bottles on other dives. So on a simple puddle splash, they take a pony in the same configuration.

Don't forget that many of those "technical or advanced divers" will have experienced both methods (back and slung)... and decided what is optimum for them. I certainly did...

I dove back-mounted pony for 6-7 years, before switching to stage-slung. I dealt with a real incident underwater (iced-reg freeflow at 36m) using a back-mounted pony... there were significant drawbacks...

Most newbie divers will not be manipulating the pony during the dive. It will be turned on and forgotten about until the dive is over and it won't be passed to someone else.

Pony is an emergency resource. You should configure/carry it based on use in an emergency. There's something very flawed with justifying an approach based on not using it (which is what you've done, above).

Newbies don't need to be confused by something else in front of them. Very experienced divers who are just new to carrying a pony might choose either way.

Unlike the guy who died on my regular dive boat in the UK a decade ago.... who got fatally confused by something behind him...

There are divers out there, around the world, that do all sorts of weird and wonderful things. The point being that cross-slinging across the body isn't a taught or approved method for any (tech) agency I can think of.

Who said anything about tech diving? The OP said he'd seen cylinders slung diagonally and you said they are carried parallel to the sides.

When I did my PADI deep speciality, the instructor did a pool session with us where we could experiment with rigging the pony in different ways to see what worked best for us. I was advised to clip it diagonally as it was a steel cylinder and caused me to twist to the left if I didn't counterbalance it with lead. There are people at my club who have been diving since long before tech diving became popular and people began to advocate standard kit configurations and the streamlined approach; the vast majority of them still carry steel stages clipped off in diagonally.

I had read discussions on forums where the consensus of opinion was all stages on the left and all aluminium. I never bothered with a pony or stage after the deep speciality as I started to use a twinset for anything other than a shallow shore dive. When I started diving a rebreather, I bought an ali 80 which I clip off on my left. If I am diving OC on a single, I often carry my ali 80 as an alternate air source in the same manner. In the water, I barely know it is there as it does not throw me off balance.

My original point was just because slinging a cylinder diagonally across your chest is a crap idea that is not favoured by modern methods, it does not mean the OP hasn't seen it, or people do not do it.

Who said anything about tech diving?

I did. It's where the standards for deco/stage are found. Rec courses don't contain standards/training/configurations for pony cylinder use.

The use, configuration and protocols for pony use is generally a 'void' area... that has been neglected by the agencies concerned.

The OP said he'd seen cylinders slung diagonally and you said they are carried parallel to the sides.

People doing it, doesn't make it right. Or wrong for that matter. We're all entitled to opinions. I am merely noting that WHERE the use of additional cylinders is formally taught - it is always via side-slung to a standard configuration.

When I did my PADI deep speciality, the instructor did a pool session with us where we could experiment with rigging the pony in different ways to see what worked best for us. I was advised to clip it diagonally as it was a steel cylinder and caused me to twist to the left if I didn't counterbalance it with lead. There are people at my club who have been diving since long before tech diving became popular and people began to advocate standard kit configurations and the streamlined approach; the vast majority of them still carry steel stages clipped off in diagonally.

Congrats to your PADI deep specialty instructor. Did he ever consider how higher level instructors tackle and resolve the exact same issues without resulting to cross-body stowage?

I've dived with plenty enough UK clubs not to get excited by the practices I've seen happening amongst the cobwebs...

My original point was just because slinging a cylinder diagonally across your chest is a crap idea that is not favoured by modern methods, it does not mean the OP hasn't seen it, or people do not do it.

We're in agreement. It is a crap method. I also agree... people probably do it. People do a lot of crap things... :wink:

Have you considered that 13cf may not be enough in order for you, or your buddy, to safely reach the surface?

A good advice is to calculate your gas consumption for an ascent from the furthest point in the dive using your/your buddy's worst SAC rates.

Think I'm speaking a foreign language? Assume your 13cf will not be enough to reach the surface and seek further instruction!

I use the Zeagle straps to put the 19' pony on my back and run the reg to a octo holder on my left waist. It's out of the way and easy to rig up.

Holy crap, dude - a 19 foot pony. Don't you think that's a bit excessive.

Sorry. I really am sorry. I just couldn't resist.

Ok, I'll keep the argument going just because I'm bored and feeling ornery.

For starters, we aren't really talking Newbies, first, this is also the advanced forum, the OP was asking about slinging a 13. Most people who are going to sling a pony are going to be divers who have been around a bit and are interested in committing to a more advanced rig or solo diving.

Ok, I'll grant that I didn't notice which forum it was in. But asking about pony bottles as an advance diving topic seems contradictory to me. As for anyone being interested in a more advanced rig or solo diving, he is going to know that a 13 cf pony in those situations will be as useless as tits on a bull. You want to carry a 40 or 30 or even a 19? Absolutely sling it. But a 13 as a pony is for shallow puddle splashers who are better off with it mounted on their main tank. The only thing I use my 13s for are suit inflation on very deep dives and rebreather bottles when travelling.

As far as the ease of deployment or putting it on a necklace, I like the reg bungeed to the bottle. As a stage bottle the PONY acronym would definitely apply because you need the stage gas to get to the surface safely. As a back up, if you need to share, this you can hand it off and keep your primary air.

I took the word "deployment" to mean deploying the bottle to pass to someone. That is not usually done with a "pony" and certainly not by a guppy diver. As for deploying a second stage, every newbie learns with an octo on the right chest. If the pony reg is there too, there is absolutely nothing new to learn. And as for stowing the reg by having it bungeed to the bottle, that's great for a larger stage. But I really doubt there is enough real estate on a 13 to do it effectively, and a guppy diver is not going to be able to deploy it easily, or re-stow it if it comes out.

When it comes to ease of use, a pony attached behind your back can't be said to be newbie friendly, you can't see if it has leak, you either have another SPG on a hose or you have no idea how much air it has. And if you get a line hooked over a back mounted pony, you are going to have to free yourself blind.

A newbie will not be diving solo, and a bubble check of your buddy is SOP. So much for having a leak. And after checking pressure before diving, he shouldn't care less how much air it has during the dive since there is no leak. As for a back mounted pony being an entanglement hazard, it only adds a slight amount of risk over a back mounted main tank. Think about the thousands of people still diving back mounted doubles.

I have set up my rig so that I can dive with or without the pony. Instead of an octo, I have an AIR II on my BCD and then the 13' slung on the left for when I want to solo.

Your profile doesn't list how many dives you have, but I'm betting its more than I have in mind for the kind of diver I'm referring to.

Don't forget that many of those "technical or advanced divers" will have experienced both methods (back and slung)... and decided what is optimum for them. I certainly did...

I agree completely.

Pony is an emergency resource. You should configure/carry it based on use in an emergency. There's something very flawed with justifying an approach based on not using it (which is what you've done, above).

No, I was referring to "deploying" in terms of passing it off, because that was the comment I was addressing. As I stated above, "using" the pony in a back mount configuration with the second stage on the right chest is exactly the same as what is taught in basic OW courses........ even by you :wink:

On the left side of your garage during all diving. Or under your work bench, personal preference.

...is exactly the same as what is taught in basic OW courses........ even by you :wink:

I don't teach OW courses :wink:

.... but if I did (ANDI, not PADI, SSI or BSAC), it'd be an agency standard for all students, OW and above, to have redundant gas (pony). I like ANDI for that reason..

Thanks a bunch. for your responses. I made a support rig from that link in one of the post above. I think it will work.

Jeff W Waldrop

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom