Best military units of all time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fins wake:
It's interesting that the first major ground force units into Afghanistan were US Marines. Afghanistan is entirely landlocked ... That's saying something.

:58: I'm glad you said major unit, but even that is wrong! The US Army Rangers (a Major unit) made a combat night jump into Afghanistan at an airbase there, prior to the Marines combat operations. Of course many SAS (both Brits & Australian) US Navy SEALs, Special Forces ODAs w/Air Force Special Operators and CIA Special Units were all over the place before any Marines arrived. :froggy:

The viet cong, as they survived attack by an imperialist superpower with next to nothing in the way of technology.

Lawman:
1. Spartans at Thermopylae
2. Army of Northern Virginia up to Petersburg
3. Marines on Iwo Jima
4. Japanese on Iwo Jima
5. 101st Airborne at Bastogne
6. English at Crecy'

Any other canidates??

What about Trelawneys army!!!

After Tet in '68, the Viet Cong almost ceased to exist. The communist forces after Tet were almost exclusively North Viet Namese with the VC incapable of taking on a larger role.

Keep in mind, the results in Viet Nam were politically, not militarily arrived at.

6Gill:
:58: I'm glad you said major unit, but even that is wrong! The US Army Rangers (a Major unit) made a combat night jump into Afghanistan at an airbase there, prior to the Marines combat operations. Of course many SAS (both Brits & Australian) US Navy SEALs, Special Forces ODAs w/Air Force Special Operators and CIA Special Units were all over the place before any Marines arrived. :froggy:

Any operation these days is always proceeded by SpecOp troops to do recon work among other things. The Rangers that jumped into Afghanistan, were only on the ground for a few hours before they were airlifted back out to their base in GA. The Marines when they came in, they came to stay and plant the US flag. From the airfield they captured, only then did US forces start pouring in. So, while a detachment of Rangers were the company sized force US force on the ground, the Marines brought their entire BLT (battalion landing team) in, and they came with the purpose of staying.

Also, in that list of specops teams listed above, there is a missing element, Marine Force Recon. So Marines were on the ground right along side the SAS, Green Beanies, SEALs, and CIA.

Anywho, my 2 cents on the Afghanstan operations.

Paul

RAF in Malta early in WWII.

With only three planes nicknamed Faith, Hope, and Charity, they held off numerous bombing raids securing the strategic mid-Mediterranean island for the Allies. The ferocity of defense made the Italians mistakenly believe that the island was well defended.

The Italians were interested in securing direct shipping lanes toward North Africa to provide supply routes for the Axis campaign in the desert. Additionally, this could have allowed them to control shipping east-west through the Med.

fins wake:
The Mogadishu action was in October 1977,
I know Mogadishu and Entebbe were not in the same year. So when was Entebbe? 1976, 1979?
fins wake:
and only one SAS operative was an officer (Major Morrison), the other being a NCO (Sergeant Davies of writing fame). Minor niggles, I know, but most NCO:s past and present are a bit particular about not being considered officers ... ahem ...
Poor sod, being called an officer. My apologies.
fins wake:
The idea now is that KSK will take over these duties for actions abroad, but of course, although very well trained they haven't had the chance to exhibit their skills like GSG9 already have ...
Until a few years ago the German military was constitutionally bound to homeland defense only. No more 'Have gun, will travel' since WWII.
GSG9, being border patrol, has less .... travel restrictions.
I wonder which one they would send today.

The Marines of bellow woods Germany , greatly out numbered they fought for 30 straight days. The Germans said it was if the gates of hell opened and the devil dogs were unleashed. This is where the nick name devil dog originated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom