Best Place To Dive The First Week Of November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Susan L

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Planning to go diving for 9-10 days the first week of November and are considering going to the Caribbean. Concerned about the weather and the impact that a hurricane can have on our dive experience. Been looking into Belize, Roatan and Bonair. Coming from San Francisco so need to consider flight connections. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Bonaire is the only one of the 3 south of the typical hurricane zone... Its a wonderful place to dive! Getting there tends to be a little challenging.

Bonaire and Curacao are below the hurricane belt and less likely to get hit by a bad storm. It may be rainy at that time of year but usually not enough to ruin a dive vacation although the vis may not be as great as it can get - it depends. It is a fairly long trip from SF but since you are planning 9 or 10 days that gives you a little cushion. Sometimes the airfare is pricey but the diving is usually cheap. These are both lovely locations but you should enjoy shore diving to get the most out of Bonaire or Curacao although boat diving (and house pier diving) are usually also available. We like to stay at Den Laman on Bonaire but there are a lot of good choices on both Curacao and Bonaire.

We have been going to the Caribbean during late Oct and early Nov for decades to celebrate our anniversary and we have never been hit with a hurricane, but that doesn't mean it can't happen, and there have been trips when we've encountered storms, wind, waves, and reduced vis, but that can happen anywhere at any time. Another reason we like the Caribbean in the fall is because it is the low season, prices are at their cheapest and the destinations are not crowded. Also the water temperature is at the warmest, in the 80s; but you do run an increased risk of bad storms between June through November.

Roatan and Belize are also great destinations and others that have been there more recently can better advise you. Keep in mind that you will need to be careful about the drinking water and take vaccines and medications for malaria and other diseases like Typhoid and Hepatitis A when you visit this part of the world. Mosquito precautions are important all over the tropics but the incidence of dengue and chikungunya are higher along the mosquito coast than in some other areas of the region. I am not saying that you shouldn't visit, I have been to both Roatan and Belize twice myself, but these are additional factors to consider.

You didn't mention budget. And what are you looking for in a vacation destination? Are you mostly interested in sun, relaxation, and diving? Or do you also enjoy restaurants, sight-seeing, and topside amenities? Since you have 9 - 10 days you might consider a 2-island trip, or an island and a liveaboard dive vessel.

For instance, you could spend a few days on Grand Cayman to enjoy topside activities and then head over to Little Cayman or Cayman Brac for a week of relaxation and diving. I just mentioned the Caymans because you can usually find easy and less expensive airfare to Grand Cayman from all over North America and then it is another $140 for a short round trip hop over to the sister islands.

Or you could spend a few days on St. Martin, Provo, or Grand Cayman and then board a liveaboard dive boat for a week of diving. You do have to take precautions with the drinking water on Provo but not on Bonaire, Curacao, St. Martin, or GC. None of the destinations I've suggested are cheap but there are ways to control the expense and still have a great vacation and sometimes you can find good prices during the fall because it is the low season.

There are a lot of great dive destinations to visit in the Caribbean, St. Croix is another good choice with good boat and shore based diving and nice topside activities. Also, since you are traveling from the West Coast you might want to consider Hawaii or Cabo? Good luck!

Last edited:
Sorry to come to this topic so late, but you can also consider Tobago, which is outside the hurricane belt. Have been there several times; love the island and the diving. It's not too easy to get to; try going through Panama City if Miami doesn't work well for you.

I'd recommend Bonaire. Just got back from 8 days staying at Den Laman. Highly recommend and as has been stated, Bonaire is one of the safest bets for that time of year. I flew from Portland, OR with United. We took a 6am flight out of here and made it same day into Bonaire and same on the return. You should be able to do the same from SFO. Our flights were on a Saturday going out and Sunday return. Hope that helps.

Bonaire and Curacao are below the hurricane belt and less likely to get hit by a bad storm. It may be rainy at that time of year but usually not enough to ruin a dive vacation although the vis may not be as great as it can get - it depends. It is a fairly long trip from SF but since you are planning 9 or 10 days that gives you a little cushion. Sometimes the airfare is pricey but the diving is usually cheap. These are both lovely locations but you should enjoy shore diving to get the most out of Bonaire or Curacao although boat diving (and house pier diving) are usually also available. We like to stay at Den Laman on Bonaire but there are a lot of good choices on both Curacao and Bonaire.

We have been going to the Caribbean during late Oct and early Nov for decades to celebrate our anniversary and we have never been hit with a hurricane, but that doesn't mean it can't happen, and there have been trips when we've encountered storms, wind, waves, and reduced vis, but that can happen anywhere at any time. Another reason we like the Caribbean in the fall is because it is the low season, prices are at their cheapest and the destinations are not crowded. Also the water temperature is at the warmest, in the 80s; but you do run an increased risk of bad storms between June through November.

Roatan and Belize are also great destinations and others that have been there more recently can better advise you. Keep in mind that you will need to be careful about the drinking water and take vaccines and medications for malaria and other diseases like Typhoid and Hepatitis A when you visit this part of the world. Mosquito precautions are important all over the tropics but the incidence of dengue and chikungunya are higher along the mosquito coast than in some other areas of the region. I am not saying that you shouldn't visit, I have been to both Roatan and Belize twice myself, but these are additional factors to consider.

You didn't mention budget. And what are you looking for in a vacation destination? Are you mostly interested in sun, relaxation, and diving? Or do you also enjoy restaurants, sight-seeing, and topside amenities? Since you have 9 - 10 days you might consider a 2-island trip, or an island and a liveaboard dive vessel.

For instance, you could spend a few days on Grand Cayman to enjoy topside activities and then head over to Little Cayman or Cayman Brac for a week of relaxation and diving. I just mentioned the Caymans because you can usually find easy and less expensive airfare to Grand Cayman from all over North America and then it is another $140 for a short round trip hop over to the sister islands.

Or you could spend a few days on St. Martin, Provo, or Grand Cayman and then board a liveaboard dive boat for a week of diving. You do have to take precautions with the drinking water on Provo but not on Bonaire, Curacao, St. Martin, or GC. None of the destinations I've suggested are cheap but there are ways to control the expense and still have a great vacation and sometimes you can find good prices during the fall because it is the low season.

There are a lot of great dive destinations to visit in the Caribbean, St. Croix is another good choice with good boat and shore based diving and nice topside activities. Also, since you are traveling from the West Coast you might want to consider Hawaii or Cabo? Good luck!

Wow, thanks for all your suggestions! We have decided to do Roatan and take our chances. We are principally looking to dive, and are on a moderate budget. Also, we are Canadians, so sadly, the US dollar is taking a gouge out of us right now!

I may be to late but you ask for best.dive location. We just got back from roatan and the diving was good but not great. For great try litthe cayman, it is the best we have found.

If you're still looking for a location to dive on Roatan, we offer an east end location with diving on all four sides of Roatan, depending on which weather we're getting at the time. We're the only dive shop on the island to offer this bonus service and ensure that you will be able to get in as much diving as possible, regardless of weather. Contact us today at info@subwaywatersports.com for more details and if we don't hear from you, enjoy your stay on Roatan!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom