Best places to get certified?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I feel like no one is understanding my question....

1. You haven't given us much to go on besides you want "the best program" in terms of things to consider - best cheapest? best fastest? highest quality training? best weather? best accommodations? best easiest? best hardest?
  2. The types of programs you're asking about are all about the same and will provide you a roughly equivalent quality training.
  3. This question gets asked four or five times a week, year-in and year-out, so we try to have some fun with it.

If I were 22 I would go somewhere that had nice weather, pretty girls, and at least two different cheap-but-drinkable local beers.

No I am not asking anything about what is the best career path to choose... DM vs Instructor. The ONLY question I have asked is what location is a good location to complete these certifications and the responses I have received have been very rude. I stated that I was wanting to travel and anywhere is an option right now. I have read a lot about courses abroad that had programs that take you from non diver to DM/Instrucor and was hoping someone could tell me if they knew anything about them. I wasn't expecting lectures over one question.

---------- Post added October 20th, 2014 at 09:18 PM ----------

Thank you RJP, I am sorry I was getting frustrated. I was wanting to go somewhere tropical for sure. Highest quality training and accommodation is definitely what I am after.

---------- Post added October 20th, 2014 at 09:24 PM ----------

Utila and Roatan..Thank you Larry! Those are actually two places that I have read about. I am just kind of weary going solo.

I have read a lot about courses abroad that had programs that take you from non diver to DM/Instrucor and was hoping someone could tell me if they knew anything about them.

We are all telling you what we know about such programs. We refer to them as "zero-to-hero" training programs, and if you think the term is derisive... you're catching on. The quality of training between one program and another will be about the same. Do note that "quality of training" is generally considered by most folks to be mediocre at best. Based in part on the quality of the instruction itself, and in part on the fact that you simply can't gain sufficient dive experience/skill in such a compressed time frame and artificial "internship" setting. But those places sure do make it sound exciting to be "well on your way to an exciting career of fun, sun, travel, and diving! I know you think this sounds rude, but that's simply because this reality doesn't mesh with your idealistic notion.

I've found that the best way to get a person to follow your advice is to find out what that person wants to do... and advise them to do that.

So... where would you LIKE to go?

PS - If you want to come to NJ in the Spring I'd be happy to offer you an "DM internship." I spent a year getting my DM certification. Then spent five years as a DM before becoming an instructor. I would love to have an idealistic 22yr old kid come schlep tanks and gear around for me!

Look at my screen name.. any other questions? :) You can join the other 50-100 DMTs on the island at any given time.. You will learn about all the issues that people are trying to bring to your attention pretty quickly.

I'll even throw out a couple of good dive shops.

Contact Jim or Deb at Seaquest Roatan diveshop..

Or contact Luke or Malc at West Bay Divers..

Both of these shops will require you to learn how to actually be a divemaster, not just pass the PADI exam and check off the standards. Plan to spend at least 3 months learning and working..

---------- Post added October 20th, 2014 at 08:51 PM ----------

Correction... Plan on longer than 3 months.. I forgot that your not certified right now. You should just plan going and becoming a certified diver. Then it will be made clear to you as to whether becoming a Divemaster is something you should consider pursuing. You may not have what it takes.. You have to earn a DM certification. At least you do at the places I mentioned..

The longer I can spend there the better! I like hands on learning. I have read that it can be tough to make it in the diving world but I would love to try and make it happen. Right now I am just looking for somewhere to start. I would love for that to be in a tropical place where I could spend months learning. I would like to eventually learn specialty dives and boat handling as well. I know it sounds crazy coming from someone who has only been diving once, in a pool, but that is just how I am. I am determined & passionately curious. :blinking:

PS- Thank you for the referrals!

The longer I can spend there the better! I like hands on learning. I have read that it can be tough to make it in the diving world but I would love to try and make it happen. Right now I am just looking for somewhere to start. I would love for that to be in a tropical place where I could spend months learning. I would like to eventually learn specialty dives and boat handling as well. I know it sounds crazy coming from someone who has only been diving once, in a pool, but that is just how I am. I am determined & passionately curious. :blinking:

PS- Thank you for the referrals!

Just go there with an open mind. You can find places to stay for cheap once you get there and start looking around. Lots of young backpacker types show up and manage just fine with little money. If you decide the places I mentioned aren't to you liking, then just walk up and down the street and interview different shops. If you start asking around you will quickly figure out which ones will just treat you as a number and as slave labor and which ones will actually teach you something. Ask for the shop manager to show you their training plan/outline. If it's not written down, that should be a clue to you. Ask how many DMTs they already have. Do you want to be one of several DMTs fighting for time to get in the water, or do you want to be in a shop that has time to focus on YOUR training. Ask the diveshop about your instructor. Does the instructor have years of experience, or was the current instructor a DMT a few months earlier? Go out at night and see if your potential instructor is out getting drunk and smoking weed each night, or is he/she someone who will mentor you the right way? Just a few things that you should be thinking about.

Right now I am just looking for somewhere to start...

Let me google that for you

I would seriously suggest doing your academic and pool work at home, and then go somewhere warm to do your Open Water checkout dives. Hell, you can even do your Advanced Open Water while you're there.

Another option on Roatan. They also have a Divemaster house w/pool - you can rent a decent room affordably. There are cheaper accommodations on in the West End also but you want your stuff to be there when you return at night. PADI Divemaster | Scuba Diving | Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras | PADI Check out the Roatan section for info on the area.

A couple I know did the DM program there and stayed on to become instructors. CTD's course director - who I've met and overheard part of a class once - they're taught outside on the deck if it's nice - is:
Will Welbourn -
Roatan's longest serving Course Director Will Welbourn started diving in 1989.
Doesn't mean he'll be your instructor but he did work with the DMT's several afternoons during the week. It's a good shop also, good people own/run it and they also seem to have fun doing it. Gay knows everything/everybody and she was the first to help us when my friend fell ill - later we found she was bent which is how I know that there's a recompression chamber 5mins. away at Anthony's Key Resort. There are of course many other options on Roatan - between West Bay and the West End there must be over a dozen dive shops offering DM training.

Barefoot Divers also runs a program but their divemaster accommodations are in the West End also so a 20min. shuttle daily to "work". PADI Divemaster Internship - Roatán Islands Diving

One advantage to Roatan is everything is walking distance in the West End. Most of the nightlife is there, most of the restaurants also. The larger food stores are in French Harbor or Coxen Hole but there's a couple small ones in the West End also. You don't really need/want a car as liability can be a problem if you hit something. Cabs are cheap and readily available as needed.

Also it's about 7 hrs. - 1 stop thru Atlanta direct to Roatan. You can mess with going thru San Pedro Sula to save some money but then there's a secondary flight required at about $100 or a 3hr. bus ride to the ferry which is not a lot cheaper. And requires an overnight.

On Utila look at Utila Dive College (UDC) or Altons. IDK about accommodations as we stay in one of the AI resorts not in town. Utila is a little harder to get to since the airport there is tiny and not lit at night. So you have to fly into San Pedro Sula (or Roatan) and then fly over on a local flight. All during daytime hrs. You don't really want to spend any more time in San Pedro Sula than necessary - it's suggested to not even leave the airport terminal if possible.

I'd suggest you go to Charleston Scuba or Low Country in Mt. Pleasant and talk to them about a Discover Dive course. Takes 1/2 day and they should take you down under pressure in the ocean. Unless that's what you did in the pool. A pool isn't deep enough for unexpected medical/other issues to become apparent. Some people just can't dive for various reasons - can't clear their ears etc. My friend the instructor has even very occasionally had people freak out because there's no "walls" in the ocean. Or they panic at 40' when doing drills or having to take their mask off at depth and clear it.

Last edited:
I would suggest starting your O/W and AOW courses at or near your home get those certifications first since you are a non-diver. I had two students at different times who wanted to become a DM and then move to instructor, one after she completed her AOW decided it wasn't the path for her and also didn't want to pursue diving much anymore even though we had some amazing dives during and fater the course, the second decided after his Rescue Course he realized it's alot of work with a big investment. Of course as you will read in alot of these posts on SB get the dive experience first so you can use it later when teaching, or working as a DM. Now with that said.....

Yes there are many places that offer the Zero - Hero programs and generally do not change much in cost of the courses, but vary depending on the accommodations. Here in Thailand there are quite a few but the cost of living here can be relatively cheap as long as you don't feel the need to party every night or weekend. The biggest cost besides the courses will be the flight over. Once you complete your DM course you proceed with the internship for the center until you are ready for the Instructor course. Most shops will take you on as an instructor to work for them and help you to get the necessary visas and work permits. This is the best option if you will stay and work in Thailand which can offer alot of work for new instructors, you may not be teaching much at first and instead acting as a dive guide. You can work as a freelance instructor but this involves a larger investment. To continue living in Thailand can be quite cheap depending on what comforts you need, and as long as you don't spend your earnings going out all the time as it can become tempting.

The other thing to consider is once you start to reach your DM course you will want your own equipment especially before becoming an instructor, rental gear will become expensive even here over a long period of time. Centers you sign up with will give you a discount on purchasing gear or may even have some used gear you can purchase first. So make sure you have a few thousand for your courses and equipment, then have a nice cushion for living expenses, also PADI Fees around around 300 USD per year for instructor and EFR renewal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom