Best reg for a newbie on a tight budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, you get the reg that is in your budget for the environment you dive in. If you dive cold water get a cold water reg. You still can find cold water reg for about 290 bucks form a name brand. Cressi ellipse Alaska is one, there are others from the other manufacturers too. I think that is what I understood form mattboy post.

I would avoid the Cressi Ellipse Alaska, and get something like an Oceanic GT3 if you decide you need cold water. My shop brought in an Ellipse Alaska last year, and the 2 dives where it was rented out on for cold water use, both ended in massive freeflows, and it was serviced in between the dives.

Like I said, just as an example. there are lot in that price range that are cold water regs. The oceanic gt3 is in the same price range.

If she does not like diving in cold water and not plan on doing cold water dives, I would save the money and not get a cold water reg. NOT EVERY ONE IS A POLAR BEAR DIVER.

If she does not like diving in cold water and not plan on doing cold water dives, I would save the money and not get a cold water reg. NOT EVERY ONE IS A POLAR BEAR DIVER.

That's what the dead diver thought, never planned to take the reg beyond 60 feet. Around here you really should take into consideration the long term life of the regulator. Maybe they buy a warm water reg and she decides diving isn't for her and wants to sell the reg. Some local new diver sees a great price on this reg and buys it without doing their research (happens ALL the time) and dives it locally without realizing it's not suitable for local conditions. I watched a DM do this once, you would think he knew better...he figured out it wasn't such a good deal when it free flowed but at least he lived to buy a suitable reg.

I know, I'm too much of a "what if" person, always have been. I know regs are expensive but they last for years. While it doesn't fit into our instant gratification society, waiting a little longer so you can save the money to get a reg that's suitable for the local environment makes sense to me.
Ber :lilbunny:

That's what the dead diver thought, never planned to take the reg beyond 60 feet.

Spoken like a true "fear-as-sales-tactic" LDS employee.

Show me ONE shred of any evidence that links diver safety and regulator cost. Even in your example, after starting out with the scary "dead diver" bit, you followed with a story in which a diver had a problem with a reg then surfaced fully alive.

If you haven't already bought, Don't assume that she won't ever dive below 60'. Most of the best wrecks are 75 and below (even if you don't swim through them). If you end up purchasing a cheap, "Sport Piston" reg, it is extremely hard to breathe from at depth. At a minimum look at "Balanced" Pistons. Oceanic has a really nice one called the Alpha 8 for around 379 or you can jump up to the GT3 (a diaphram 1st stage) for only $20 more.

A good reg should last you 20+ years when maintained, don't skimp

That's what the dead diver thought, never planned to take the reg beyond 60 feet. Around here you really should take into consideration the long term life of the regulator. Maybe they buy a warm water reg and she decides diving isn't for her and wants to sell the reg. Some local new diver sees a great price on this reg and buys it without doing their research (happens ALL the time) and dives it locally without realizing it's not suitable for local conditions. I watched a DM do this once, you would think he knew better...he figured out it wasn't such a good deal when it free flowed but at least he lived to buy a suitable reg.

Based on that rational, manufactures should only make regulators that are suitable for all conditions…with eBay and the internet, you never know where a regulator is going to end up.

A simple free flow (or any regulator malfunction for that matter) should never be a life threatening situation. Yes, fatal accidents often happen from an escalation of simple events. But, proper training should never allow a simple regulator malfunction to escalate to an uncontrolled level.

Equipment will never compensate for ignorance or stupidity.

Heck…you are trying to break the law…of natural selection… Just kidding.

If you haven't already bought, Don't assume that she won't ever dive below 60'. Most of the best wrecks are 75 and below (even if you don't swim through them). If you end up purchasing a cheap, "Sport Piston" reg, it is extremely hard to breathe from at depth. At a minimum look at "Balanced" Pistons. Oceanic has a really nice one called the Alpha 8 for around 379 or you can jump up to the GT3 (a diaphram 1st stage) for only $20 more.

A good reg should last you 20+ years when maintained, don't skimp

the Genesis GS2000 is a balance piston and environmentally seal unit. it is 240 bucks, and it is made by oceanic. And it uses oceanic parts just relabeled. My wife has gone done to 80ft with it on our last wreak dive, no problem.

Spoken like a true "fear-as-sales-tactic" LDS employee.

Show me ONE shred of any evidence that links diver safety and regulator cost. Even in your example, after starting out with the scary "dead diver" bit, you followed with a story in which a diver had a problem with a reg then surfaced fully alive.

Fascinating assumption on your part, I'm not an LDS employee I'm an independent instructor. You can get a good cold water reg for a reasonable price and I stated that but AROUND THIS AREA the warm water regs are less expensive than the cold water ones. The warm water regs are not suitable for some of our local sites. You have to sign a waiver at the site stating you understand regulators can free flow at depths deeper than 60 feet. It's not the dollar amount it's the design. There are good cold water regs that are cost comparable to warm water regs so why not get the cold water one if your local environment is cold?

The difference was in the handling of the free flows that never should have happened in the first place (they did call the squad for the DM since he came up yelling for help thinking he was dying). The OP isn't talking about a reg for a DM who SHOULD be able to handle a free flow, it's for a new diver who may or may not react properly in that event. Unfortunately failure to react properly to a free flow at the local site has historically resulted in injury or death.

Personally I'm tired of seeing people have accidents at my local site because it's only a dangerous place if you don't have the right training or the right EQUIPMENT. This diver is well within driving range of my local site and deserves the information. Come dive with me, I'll be happy to show you WHY I'm so adamant about this.

I smell a cat fight a comin'....:), well maybe a cat & something else......lol........

Based on that rational, manufactures should only make regulators that are suitable for all conditions…with eBay and the internet, you never know where a regulator is going to end up.
True but it's my habit to try to look out for everyone :wink:
A cold water reg increases your customer base when you go to sell it as well.

A simple free flow (or any regulator malfunction for that matter) should never be a life threatening situation. Yes, fatal accidents often happen from an escalation of simple events. But, proper training should never allow a simple regulator malfunction to escalate to an uncontrolled level.

Equipment will never compensate for ignorance or stupidity.

Heck…you are trying to break the law…of natural selection… Just kidding.

Precisely but you and I both know that's not how it works in the real world.

I'm just being motherly I guess.

Sorry for caring gang, carry on
Ber out

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom