best reg for upside down?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What does wet breathing have to do with regulator tune? I know tune rules on work of breathing and that sort of stuff. I always though wet breathing was a property of the exhaust valve, the case design and how well it managed to reject water entry during exhale when in an awkward attitude in the water.

I shouldn't have said tune, what I meant was in good repair, specifically meaning exhaust valve in good shape. I guess there are some regs which accumulate water, when you're upside down it will flow to the mouthpiece. But I would certainly think that a well fitting exhaust valve would minimize this regardless of the case design.

I shouldn't have said tune, what I meant was in good repair, specifically meaning exhaust valve in good shape. I guess there are some regs which accumulate water, when you're upside down it will flow to the mouthpiece. But I would certainly think that a well fitting exhaust valve would minimize this regardless of the case design.

I agree but I can also the that a very slow exhale where the valve us fighting the water column or buoyancy (may not be the best way to describe what I am visualizing) would have the valve sputtering open and closed a lot and may allow it to spit droplets of water.

I think in all of these regulators remain breathable but are often likened to breathing through a wet sponge. Granted some divers may find this uncomfortable or even distressing.

Pete

Crappy Magnum2 Sherwood, condensation

I don't think you want to blame condensation. In Sherwood's higher models they add a metallic heat sink/condenser to increase the condensation and alleviate dry mouth. That condenser is just a small way of appeasing divers who lament the demise of metal shelled second stages that used to be the norm.

If the Magnum is consistently wet I'd be looking for crack, a bad exhaust valve, failing mouth piece or loose tie wrap on same for openers.

Pete

thanks everybody!

Looks like the regs you're recommending are all more expensive than my cheap lil wet Oceanic...

Did I possibly get what I paid for?

My first reg, an Ist proline r-10, breathed much better upside down than my Dacor Viper America. It was inexpensive.

Dacor Viper, US Divers Conshelf 14, US Divers Aquamaster all breath dry for me both upside down or on my back.

Frogman wannabe

Back
Top Bottom