Best Scuba mounts for GoPro - Monopod vs. Headstrap vs. Mask mount vs. other?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I made a sort of Goodman style handle for my GoPro and it worked well for me.

Imo.. the mono pod offers a lot of variations when u use it. U can extend/retract it to creatures saftly. U can take video of yourself. U can put them into hard to reach places. Or u can put it down to take time lapse

Nice Video! What do you use for editing too slow and speed the GoPro? I use this grip and mount. The mount is at Backscatter.com and grip I found on flebay. photo (3).jpg

3. Mask mount: I have no experience with this, anyone else? Octomask: Free Your Hands&#8480

I purchased one a few weeks ago and have only had a chance to use it once while pool training. It was okay, but it didn't fit as well as my Cressi mask.

I will be testing it out more in the next few dives. Should note, when it was sealed well the mask was great for hands free filming. Couldn't really tell I had it on.

Make sure you don't use that housing for diving, it will be out of focus underwater.

Yeah, that was just the initial test fit there. I have two flat-port housings that get used underwater (this was prior to GoPro releasing their own underwater housing)

I do not quite understand the advantages of a Goodman handle for holding a camera. Personally, I feel that my arm would be on a very unnatural position trying to hold it straight like Superman, specially with a thin grip.

For a small, one handed, and simple way to carry the camera, why not just a short handle? (i.e. pvc pipe with a screw through a pipe cap)

I use a scrap piece of conduit (grey) PVC as a pole. I have since modified it by cutting it in half and using a coupling to make it longer depending on where I am diving. Works great!

In my opinion I think that if someone could figure out a way to make the bubbles less of an issue, then the GoMask by XS Scuba is the optimal way of mounting a GoPro to your body while Scuba Diving. Also I have yet to try the Hollis one but I am sure that will be of good quality as well.

I was just about to create a thread like this, glad i scrolled through some past pages!

I am currently using my GoPro on a pole mount i made from an old mop and its quite good but a little shaky at times and has no option for mounting lights.

I'm not sure about the rules regarding posting links to other websites so ill just mention that everyone should at some point google diygopro and have a quick browse :wink: There is some really ingenious ideas on there, some more usefull then others for a diving application but all worth a bit of a geez.

I'm going to stop past my local hardware and pick up some PVC and attempt the 'underwater video platform'.. Stay tuned for some piccys of the final product!

Back
Top Bottom