Best tres leches cake???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

la_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am not going to say that this tres leches cake is best, but the best that I have found in coz. Usually here in Feb. for my bday and DM Luis buys this cake for me. Just wanted to send out a shout for Pasteleria Dona Ines bakery located calle 50 bis entre 21 y 23 tel. 8697722.

---------- Post added February 9th, 2015 at 09:24 PM ----------

What makes this cake different is the custard filling between layers

Never had Tres Leches Cake on Cozumel, but the best I've ever had was home made - I use the recipe from Alton Brown, from his Good Eats episode on Milk. Have also used his recipe for Dolce de Leche, and it's excellent. Martha Stewart has a recipe for Dolce de Leche that consists of just cooking a couple of cans of Sweetened Condensed Milk over a double boiler for about 5 hours - it's workable, but, IMO, lacks the complex caramel flavors that you get with cooking at higher heat.

BTW, Tres Leche Cake shouldn't be a layer cake - it's a flat cake, where the cake, once baked, is perforated very well with forks or skewers, then soaked overnight with a mixture of Evaporated Milk, Sweetened Condensed Milk, and Half and Half, where the cake absorbs all of the liquid, becoming very moist, but not soupy, then topped with a sweetened (and flavored, if you like) whipped cream. You can also find recipe for Tres Leches Cake on some cans of Sweetened Condensed Milk.

I think the only time I've had it on the island was at 'Ohana, and like EVERYTHING they do there, it was exceptional.

thanks for the heads up on another place to try!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom