Best trip for new divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This actually sounds like me a few years ago. A coworker convinced me and two others to get certified. Before completing our certifications, we booked a week on the Cayman Aggressor. It was probably the most amazing week of my life (don't tell my wife I said that). Bloody Bay wall has to offer some of the best diving in the world and the reef starts around 15 to 20 feet. However, you better be able to contol your depth since the bottom is non-existent.

The cost of a liveaboard seems high, but it is all inclusive. Also when you consider that we all logged 4 to 5 dives per day, the cost averages out pretty good.

In fact, I have recommended to several new divers to forget about buying gear initially. Spend the money on a dive trip. This way you'll get hooked first then the gear is a must have. Buy the gear first and then you have no money for diving and the gear won't get used. The diver quits diving and the gear gets ebayed.

Hey PUCK -

Go for http://www.amoray.com/ - that is in Key Largo, beautiful DIVE resort and everything! They will take you to Molasses Reef, Pennekamp Park, and etc... depending on what they are going that day. Great people, too!

That was my first ocean dives and I am definitely going back there again when I come back to Key Largo. Those first ocean dives, I saw 3 Spotted Eagle rays, that made my day! And many other marine life there.

Good luck!

On my LDS website they offered dive travel agent as well as planned trips.

I will second (or third or forth) the Florida Keys suggestion...the shallow reefs and short boat rides are great intro dives. I took a buddy on his 5th -15th (after his cert dives 1-4) dives there and he had a great time.

I'm not sure it fits well w/ the $ factor, but Bonaire is perfect for the beginner. It allows you to do a bunch of dives in a short period of time w/ easy conditions (oh, and the reefs aren't bad either :wink: ). The biggest thing a beginner needs is more time in the water, and Bonaire is perfect for that.

My $.02

Considering a total package (airfare, food, lodging, transportation, diving), Cozumel is really a bargain, the Yucatan is about the same. Airfare to Cancun is reasonable from most airports, even mine which usually is the highest of any airport around. Akumal is only an hour south of Cancun. Room was nice and reasonable. Food ranged from reasonable to more but was good in any range. Utila is also very cheap as far as diving, food and lodging. Diving is great. I think what you save in other things gets used up on the airfare though. I still have not figured out how to get to the cheap diving on Bonaire, Belize or other dream destinations. Even Florida from here is more than Coz or Yucatan. The airfare from my airport is horrendous. As far as being beginners, I would say Cozumel is probably the best place to start. Most of the dive shops there have it down to a science. I feel better taken care of there and safer (a factor when I was a beginner) than any other place I have been. I love Akumal, I love Utila too now that I have some dives logged but if it were not for Cozumel in the beginning, I think I may not be at the comfort level I am now. I felt a little on my own in all the other places I have dived. Edgar or Jorge at Palancar, Pablo at Dive with Martin are my recommendations. They each just gave me a sense that their number one concern is their divers. I have seen them handle problems with other divers with such ease and speed. The groups can be a little larger, (not always), which more experienced divers tend to want to get away from, but even so, I still felt more watched over and safer there than anywhere else. So, add safety and experience of the dive ops into the mix of room, airfare etc, Cozumel is the place.

I would recommend this trip: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=95547

I know the instructor, and he is wonderful. It also is not a full on diving trip but a trip in which you get to see and experience different things as well.

Hope this helps!

Puck:
Ok, I have been diving for a little while now, and convinced a few of my friends to get certified this spring (as soon as the ice is off the lakes). I lured them witht he promise of tropical weather, clear water, with coral and fish in colors Crayola never thought of. So where should we dive this summer for their first ocean dives? Local shops have group trips to Bonaire, Cozumel, Cayman, etc., and we certainly could book our own vacation just about anywhere. Given the fact that they are new to diving, and money IS a factor, where can I take them to really "set the hook" and keep them diving?

We go to Cozumel at least twice a year. Great place for new divers. That was my first ocean dive in 1990. Loved it.

Hello,
Cozumel or florida would be my first choice...Florida getting there might be cheaper. The cost of food etc is high. Mexico you can often find a great price for an all inclusive.

All the best,

Paul

Uncle Ricky had it right. Beginner divers looking for a vacation destination belong in Bonaire. Period.

Florida isn't any cheaper and conditions can be iffy. Some of the shallow wrecks and reefs are nice, but they're far apart and the fairly normal heavy chop and ripping currents can spoil the day.

I'm going to get grief for this, but Cozumel is NOT suitable for new divers. It's popular because it's cheap and the diving is very good, but drift diving is NOT something new divers should be experimenting with.

The Caymans are nice but they aren't a beginners paradise like Bonaire and then there is the budget thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom