Best way to improve finning techniques?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The 5th-dimension intro to tech would be a good source to start. An experienced mentor would be a good place to go from there.

let me start by saying one of the best tools for learning a physical skill is a video camera and its absolutely awesome that you have already begun to use one.

this may work for various techniques ... but it DEFINITELY helped me with my reverse finning via frog kicking ...

don your dry suit (wet may work as well) with ZERO extra weight and nothing else ... go down to the water and frog kick around the top of the water while floating. focus on your foot position and how you cup the water with no fins on ... do this for some time and focus on how different movements propel you in different ways.

after your confidence in understanding grows, don your gear and fins and head down to a platform or other clean area about 20-25' deep and try the finning ...

video it and look at your progress ....

best of luck and enjoy

I got a chance to watch the video, and I got the feeling from it that your gear may still be a bit unbalanced -- Do your feet tend to drop if you stop finning altogether?

There's a strong component of "bicycling" in your kick (sort of a rotatory motion with the hips and knees flexing) that isn't as efficient as it could be, whether you're flutter kicking or attempting a modified flutter. If you're going to hold the knees bent, as you are, then the flutter kick should ONLY come from a little knee action -- the hips should remain straight. Something that helped me with this was thinking about keeping the distance from my head to my knees as LONG as possible. You can also think about arching your back and tightening your buttock muscles a little bit, but I don't like using the back arching image for people, because you can overdo it and cause yourself pain. But envisioning keeping myself as LONG as possible worked pretty well, and didn't hurt.

PRACTICE over and over!!

YouTube - The Frog Kick

Thanks!! That is a great video!

I got a chance to watch the video, and I got the feeling from it that your gear may still be a bit unbalanced -- Do your feet tend to drop if you stop finning altogether?.

Not at all, I can hold trim just fine without sinking or floating feet.

There's a strong component of "bicycling" in your kick (sort of a rotatory motion with the hips and knees flexing) that isn't as efficient as it could be, whether you're flutter kicking or attempting a modified flutter. If you're going to hold the knees bent, as you are, then the flutter kick should ONLY come from a little knee action -- the hips should remain straight. Something that helped me with this was thinking about keeping the distance from my head to my knees as LONG as possible. You can also think about arching your back and tightening your buttock muscles a little bit, but I don't like using the back arching image for people, because you can overdo it and cause yourself pain. But envisioning keeping myself as LONG as possible worked pretty well, and didn't hurt.

The bicycle motion is what irritated me, too much air burning motion that isn't going into propulsion :shakehead: I'll really work on my technique when I get in the water next.

Oside Jimc:
Best way to improve finning techniques?

I'm against the concept, but if you gotta... Have lots of knives and switch them out often. Shark skin dulls them very rapidly. When you aren't actively finning sharks, you should be sharpening your knives to get ready for the next catch.

I'm against the concept, but if you gotta... Have lots of knives and switch them out often. Shark skin dulls them very rapidly. When you aren't actively finning sharks, you should be sharpening your knives to get ready for the next catch.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: I never thought I'd see the day that you would make me spit up beer!!:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

What I saw was what I call bicycling. Your heel comes toward your butt and the blade of the fin does not push any water. Have a look.
For a better flutter, keep your legs straighter and make aposing little s movements with mostly your ankles.

Frog kick: ever stood on the bottom with your fins on? The bottom of your fins are on the sand.
Now bend your knees and bring the bottoms of your fins together briskly and glide, and again and glide. Heels touch first then the rest of the blade.

Modified butterfly: Keep your legs fairly straight and bring the bottoms of your fins together, starting more from the bottom edge of the blade. Kinda like clapping with your pinkies touching first.

Frog and modified butterfly do not work too well with split fins, grasshopper.

Thanks, got lots of them and they are all razor sharp. But sadly the Threshers and Makos won't be back until spring, then it'll be time for some fresh shark steaks for the barbie.

Frog and modified butterfly do not work too well with split fins, grasshopper.

Thanks for the tips, and my fins are not split, however after I get my drysuit I'll switch to something more robust.

Back
Top Bottom