Beware - in KLCC area; if you overnight in KL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wisnu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just want to share my bad experience in KL however the same case might happen anywhere in the world particularly in the big city.

More and more top dive destination in this region now can be reached cheaply with Air Asia with KL as a main hub. Most of the AA flight schedule requires overnight, many people choose to stay in KLCC area to enjoy the beauty of KL city with its spectacular twin tower, great mall and nice food. At least, we are one of them.
Having enjoyed great diving in Bunaken and Lembeh; we stopped at KL for few days.

We stayed at the Zon All Suite residence on the KLCC park, a nice and good value hotel in prime location within 5 minute walking distance from KLCC and Twin Tower.
On the first day, around 10.10 pm we returned to the hotel after having dinner and shopping at Suria KLCC. We crossed the street in front of the Hotel and Mosque from the KLCC park; myself took care of my kids and my wife hold my 70 years old mum with the right hand while keeping her handbag on the left hand. Everything happened very fast when a motorcyclist snatched my mum handbag. Unfortunately (or probably fortunately) I was not fast enough to seize him. Having heard our screams, few peoples including the hotel security personnel surrounded us.
Surprisingly, the hotel security personnel were not very active to assist us although they know we are their hotel guess. Instead, at least one or two men were very enthusiastic to "help" us. He told us that his friend was trying to chase and get the criminal. He asked us to immediately report to police station; even he offered his cellular for us to call the police. I would love if that offer came from the Hotel security officers not from the strangers. The more this guy insisted to report to the police; the more resistant for us to accept his "help". Instead, we left them and bring my family to our room for resting - as they were very shock.
In the hotel lobby, we asked the security personnel and hotel staff regarding the nearest location of the police station - unfortunately no clear answers; no help how to get there. Instead; one of the security personnel approached me and told me that somebody looking for us in the hotel parking area. Then he guided us to meet them - the same person who tried to help us together with his friend. The security left us alone. This guy claimed he had done his best to chase the robber but no success; now asking for money.
Certainly I refused and quickly enter back to the hotel.
"Luckily" there's no important document in my mum's handbag although there's significant amount of cash money.

On the next morning, we discussed our case with some hotel staff. To my surprise; they did not surprise as the same cases are very common and frequently happen to the tourist in KLCC. And she suggested to always using backpack instead of handbag.

I understood crime is not an easy problem to handle particularly in the big city like KL. However, noting our case is not the first nor the only one, plus the fact that KLCC is the main tourist destination - it is sad to realize that no police, no additional protection and not even warning are available to minimize the same case will happen again. From our room, we could see the area between the mosque and the hotel is relatively dark, no sufficient lighting and there's some pocket area, which is quite dark where somebody can hide with his motorbike and wait for another victims.

I am not impressing with the attitude of the hotel security personnel. They can do much better to help their guess, ÅÐr ??????
According to my local friend, it is not impossible the two guys probably more than two - who tried to help us is actually part of the ÅÕeam and I also was ÅÍucky not able to catch the bandit as if that happened, they would act to support the operation and I could be injured or killed.

Nevertheless, I still believe KL is a nice city just beware, alert and cautious.

Sorry to hear about this bad episode, Wisnu. My personal take is that snatch thieves are not a sophisticated lot - more of dopeheads doing this for their daily fix. And them being drug addicts, there is a good possibility that they will hurt you without thinking twice.

Snatch thieves are proving to be a problem here in Malaysia - be it whether you are in KL or otherwise. As a local, I myself am cautious and alert to my surroundings. I take precaution when I'm walking, crossing the road or just getting into my car.

Nonetheless, I believe this to be a good practice in all major cities and tourist attractions.

All big cities have these problems. I am anoyed that the security staff were not more help.
I would strongly recommend that you write a letter of complaint to the manager of the hotel. If the management don't hear of a problem then they cannot do much to fix it.
Point out in your letter that you have posted on scubaboard and that word of mouth can be positive as well as negative.

I had a bad experience with Hertz on my last trip. A letter worked wonders.
I don't like complaining (the british stiff upper lip) but if the bosses don't know that there is a problem then it won't get resolved.

I left a written message to the manager as I could not find him when i was there and also sent e-mail two weeks ago but no response till to date.
I posted this thread just to tell people who might not aware to take more precaution when walking or crossing in that area. Avoid handbag - backpack is safer.

Sorry to hear of your experience. this is the second time i've heard of handbag snatches by thieves on bikes in the city area. Last year my collegue had hers snatched walking with a group of friends on bukit bintang.

Sorry to hear bad thing from you, i'm malaysian i living in K.L area from KLCC to my house 20 minutes drive without traffic jammed.
As you mention area security was bad, even we are malaysian also need to take care.
on that night you should report to police let police do something about you. in future if you want to know more about Malaysia can email to me sinhwa1126@gmail.com

blueyes, thanks,
Indeed, I should immediately report to police at that night. I did expect the hotel security guard to help us to report to police. But they keep quiet and not able to give us the clear answer about the location of the police office. Instead; somebody with spooky appearance; as I mentioned was very (too) enthuastic to help us. Even worst, the hotel security introduced us to the spooky guys friend who asked for money for his effort to help us though not succesfull.
So, I didn't want to take a risk to be trapped; and I did not feel secure after I refuse to give them money. So, the next day we just out avoiding that area before we move to other hotel (Sunway Pyramid) out-of town which I felt will have better security.

The big problem is the hotel security, what a disgrace.

blueyes, thanks,
Indeed, I should immediately report to police at that night. I did expect the hotel security guard to help us to report to police. But they keep quiet and not able to give us the clear answer about the location of the police office. Instead; somebody with spooky appearance; as I mentioned was very (too) enthuastic to help us. Even worst, the hotel security introduced us to the spooky guys friend who asked for money for his effort to help us though not succesfull.
So, I didn't want to take a risk to be trapped; and I did not feel secure after I refuse to give them money. So, the next day we just out avoiding that area before we move to other hotel (Sunway Pyramid) out-of town which I felt will have better security.

That is a very wise decision and your fears of being trapped are legitimate.
The motocycle-snatch-thieves is pretty prevalent in KL from what I had been told by my friends living there.
I have other friends who got brought to dodgy corners and subsequently robbed. Sometimes not pursuing the matter may be the best option.
Even if you had reported it to the police, I doubt much actions could/would be done anyway.

The sunway pyramid you moved into is next to the sunway lagoon is it?

I have been hearing a lot of similar stories about women having their bags snatched in Saigon recently, so I don't know if KL is worse or if it's just bad luck. Recently however, I spoke with a European woman who works in the diving industry in Indonesia and who was robbed in KL TWICE! two nights in a row!

Both incidents happened late at night. In the first instance she left a hotel at 3 AM for an early morning Air Asia flight. As she attempted to hail a cab, she was beaten on the back of the head and lost consciousness for a few minutes. The thieves took her money but left her passport behind. She missed her flight and rescheduled for the following night.

On the second night she tried again to catch the early morning flight and walked out of the hotel clutching her purse looking carefully around. A motorbike duo must have seen her over-protective stance and figured she had valuable stuff in her purse. They snatched her bag and this time took her passport with them. She ended up having to extend her stay in KL to get a new passport, visa etc. At least no physical violence the second time, but horrible experience nonetheless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom