Big island vs oahu diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you asking for advice about whether you should go diving with a stent against the recommendation of your cardiologist? Or are you asking for advice about where to find shallow dives given that you have decided to go diving?

Because I don't think you should trust internet strangers over medical recommendations.... but that's another discussion...

But, given that you decide to go diving, most of the good wrecks are deeper than 70' (YO, Seatiger, LCU, Navy tug) and I wouldn't call them "shallow" dives - so maybe they aren't the best options for you. There a couple of shallow "wrecks" but they barely qualify as wrecks and I don't consider them good dives.

Personally, for shallow easy dives, I'd stick to shore diving. There are many shallow shore dives on the North shore that are accessible been May and September (40' max, 25' typical). @miserkris when will you be visiting?

Thx I'll mostly visit in December... But could be earlier but I won't know until another month. For shore dives are there good Pier that I can jump into water.. It's exhausting to fight the waves during shore diving! How about buddy, are there groups that go shore diving I can join? Thx

Are you asking for advice about whether you should go diving with a stent against the recommendation of your cardiologist? Or are you asking for advice about where to find shallow dives given that you have decided to go diving?

Because I don't think you should trust internet strangers over medical recommendations.... but that's another discussion...

But, given that you decide to go diving, most of the good wrecks are deeper than 70' (YO, Seatiger, LCU, Navy tug) and I wouldn't call them "shallow" dives - so maybe they aren't the best options for you. There a couple of shallow "wrecks" but they barely qualify as wrecks and I don't consider them good dives.

Personally, for shallow easy dives, I'd stick to shore diving. There are many shallow shore dives on the North shore that are accessible been May and September (40' max, 25' typical). @miserkris when will you be visiting?

Hi ,

Just confirmed with AA and bought tickets . I will be in Oahu staying in Waikiki Dec 15-23 2022.
I will do a 2 tank dive with whichever OP is best . Prefer wrecks since not much kicking around !
Do you all agree with that notion i.e. wreck dives are not tiring ?!

I brisk walk an hour a day. No issues at all with the heart . All my numbers are normal. I will do good cardio exercises month before my arrival :)

Shore dives are tiring by the time you get to the good spot you are tired and used half the air.
BTW I am air only ! thx

Hi ,

Just confirmed with AA and bought tickets . I will be in Oahu staying in Waikiki Dec 15-23 2022.
I will do a 2 tank dive with whichever OP is best . Prefer wrecks since not much kicking around !
Do you all agree with that notion i.e. wreck dives are not tiring ?!

I brisk walk an hour a day. No issues at all with the heart . All my numbers are normal. I will do good cardio exercises month before my arrival :)

Shore dives are tiring by the time you get to the good spot you are tired and used half the air.
BTW I am air only ! thx

Take another look at my first reply to your post for a list of some of the wrecks available on the south side. You will be here in the middle of winter, when the north shore swell is roaring, so you can’t dive most of the good shore diving spots.

Summer is definitely the best time to dive on Oahu, so you are at a disadvantage. Almost all of the winter shore dive sites have long surface swims or crazy entrances (Blowhole or Lanai, anyone?!) so you’ll probably want to stick to boat diving unless you can get lucky with a flat no surf day at Electrics Beach. The wrecks (done exclusively from boats) tend to be deeper though, which you may not want to do with your medical condition.

Your best bet is to reach out to Kaimana Divers (@scottitheduck on SB). They are my favorite dive op on the island and run deeper wreck charters in the morning, and shallower dives in the late morning and afternoon. However, they may ask for a medical sign off from your cardiologist(s)!

Start with Kaimana Divers and they will hook you up with whatever boat diving you want to do.

Ok will do thx...
The shallower wrecks including the plane wrecks, do they have colorful fish...? Saw Kewalo Pipe in youtube and was impressed... That's about 50-60 feet.
That's enough for me really.. No need to dive deep to see 50 percent more life near wrecks!

I saw few fish in my ~60 dives in Hawaii. Didn’t matter whether is was deep or shallow. Wrecks had the most fish.

Are there live aboards in Hawaii? Any worth trying? Just curious...! I checked google but unsure they're worth it in big island... cost per dive Wise I mean.

Are there live aboards in Hawaii? Any worth trying? Just curious...! I checked google but unsure they're worth it in big island... cost per dive Wise I mean.
No, Hawaii Aggressor is gone.

I saw few fish in my ~60 dives in Hawaii. Didn’t matter whether is was deep or shallow. Wrecks had the most fish.
My shallow diving with aaron's went smooth. OAHU is rough compared to big island for sure. Less fish too!

Question for you guys:
Do dive op usually provide drinks, water and snacks in all dives?

Back
Top Bottom