Black Beach (Maui) anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howard4113

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A friend and I are thinking about doing the dive from black sand beach to little beach this Sunday. We haven't done this dive yet - so we'd really like to have someone along who has. So - anyone want to join in? How about shaka Doug?

Mark

Hey Mark,

Thanks for asking. I've made the dive a few times over the years. It can be quite good when the conditions and current are in your favor. Plan on being in the water for well over an hour. Based on the water conditions today, I think you might want to take a "wait-and-see approach" before you finalize your plans. I made two dives today and the Viz at Five Graves and Ulua Beach was the WORST I've seen since the big swells of last January. I got an e-mail notice that the High Surf Advisory was cancelled as of 4:05 pm today but you can't always trust that. I was still in the water at that time and it was pretty nasty. You might go check things out on Saturday and get a feel for the spot. One thing to remember is that the walk back from Little Beach is LONG. You might just try drifting the extra 10 minutes or so to Big Beach, then exit the water there. You might be on the surface for a while but it's easier than walking up and down the goat trail and hiking in the soft sand. I have plans for Sunday already. I have a two tank dive to do around 9 and then I'm taking the afternoon off to see Willie Nelson and Jack Johnson at the MACC. Maybe we can do it some other time? Let me know what you end up doing.

Back
Top Bottom