Question Kauai diving in Late November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not knowing the island at all, is it reasonable and easy to drive the 14 miles daily from as far as Kapa'a to dive out of Koloa many days during the week?

For reference, from Kapaa to Fathom Five (Poipu) is about 18 miles, but can take about 25-30 minutes to get there due to traffic on the one main highway. Was usually congested at the beginning of our drive and opened up as we got closer to Poipu.

I thought it was reasonable. You'll like the sunrise from the east side also - beautiful!

Like I said, this has all be great information and helped with my research on where to stay on the island. It's appreciated.

I was first looking at staying in the Koloa area but it appears to be much more reasonable to stay on the east side. Not knowing the island at all, is it reasonable and easy to drive the 14 miles daily from as far as Kapa'a to dive out of Koloa many days during the week?
I'll make it short and sweet as you are getting so much info from the fantastic members of this for....
"YES"

Many people dive multiple days from the east side of the island and even the north shore. Most traffic is flowing into Lihue in the am and you shouldn't have an issue as long as you give yourself the appropriate amount of time to reach Poipu/Koloa. The shore dive can be dove throughout the day and even at custom times with a little planning ahead. A little nitrogen time and lunch on the south shore and you be able to head north before traffic is an issue. Happy planning the rest of the way and as always feel free to reach out with a PM if I can address anything specific. I know that the other amazing individuals here will help in the same way.

p.s. might even have an early Humpback Whale here at that time to welcome you.
Cheers, A

Find a way to make Niihau happen, bucket list item which it's not cheap ($600ish) but the price will most likely only going to increase with time. Otherwise, Kauai just isn't that great for diving compared to the other Hawaiian islands

Thanks again to everyone that has helped out here and just wanted to let everyone know that your help is not for nothing. We had a lot of rescheduling our Hawai'i trip around the Maui wildfires and the move of the Maui Invitational basketball tournament. Finally we have some clarity and moved some flights and hotel stays around and we are booked! We will be in Kapaa, Kauai from Nov 26nd to Dec 2nd. Now I can start my dive planning. :cool:

We had a lot of rescheduling our Hawai'i trip around the Maui wildfires and the move of the Maui Invitational basketball tournament.
So are you now going to Honolulu for the tournament before heading over to Kauai?

So are you now going to Honolulu for the tournament before heading over to Kauai?
That's correct. The tournament moved to Oahu, so we are vacationing a week there before we go to Kauai.

Is there any decent shore dive locations easily accessible on Kauai?
Koloa Landing East and Koloa Landing West - both at the same location, diving in different directions. Just be aware the entry is a rocky bottom - one walks across rocks (golf ball to cantaloupe size) to depth before swimming out to a ring buoy before going down. Be sure to wear your boots.

Koloa Landing East and Koloa Landing West - both at the same location, diving in different directions. Just be aware the entry is a rocky bottom - one walks across rocks (golf ball to cantaloupe size) to depth before swimming out to a ring buoy before going down. Be sure to wear your boots.
Thank you much. Have family that live on the island so is a yearly trip. With just getting certified I will be checking this out

Like I said, this has all be great information and helped with my research on where to stay on the island. It's appreciated.

I was first looking at staying in the Koloa area but it appears to be much more reasonable to stay on the east side. Not knowing the island at all, is it reasonable and easy to drive the 14 miles daily from as far as Kapa'a to dive out of Koloa many days during the week?

I guess it's better to more feedback than not enough, huh? It is very reasonable to come from the east side of the island to dive out of the Poipu/Koloa area. I had divers come to dive with us several times this week from the east side. Though it's a much bigger travel in the am - we have also had 3 couples coming to dive with us from the north shore the last couple days. It's also a very nice central location to dive the south locations while visiting beautiful north shore sites for hiking, sightseeing etc. It's a pretty small "rock" and if you can avoid certain windows of travel it's not much of an issue in terms of travel.

If I can offer suggestions for any other activities just let me know. I'd be happy to help with anything you have questions about. There is also an amazing shore dive here on the south side that can be done mornings and afternoons with crazy cool critters in shallow protected depths. That means fantastic dives with loooong bottom times.

Lots of great dive guides and shops on the south side to choose from for sure.

Happy holidays and best wishes for the new year. If I can help with any specific questions feel free to send me a direct message for quick response. Aloha

Back
Top Bottom