Little Cayman Island - Dive Video using Insta360 X3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GlenElectronic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've been shooting UW videos for years and always travel with a ton of gear. UW housings, HD or UHD video cameras, lenses, UW lights, battery chargers & batteries, notebook computer, external hard drive, etc. etc.

This year in addition to all of the above equipment I brought a Insta360 X3 and the associated UW housing to try out. I've shot with Go-Pro's UW many times before and know the limitations of them vs a full professional rig (with lights, zoom lens, wide angle ports and the ability to white balance at the push of a button). So I was somewhat skeptical of what to expect from this 360 degree video technology.

The learning curve was a bit steep as you really have to frame anything your doing in a 360 degree format which means thinking about what is going on above, behind and really all around you. The beauty of the Insta360 X3 is you can almost pick any angle you want in post production and frame the shot for editing. I say almost as the under water housing for the Insta360 X3 does have some areas that cause you to see the edges of the housing in the video depending on which angle you select.

Every day I boarded the dive boat at Little Cayman Beach Resort I brought both my Insta360 X3 and my Gates UW housing with a Sony Z90 4K camera and L&M UW lights. Which camera I used was at my whim and what dive site we went to.

After reviewing what I shot the first day using both UW cameras on different dives, I saw the possibilities of the Insta360 X3 as well as the limitations. I decided to make a concentrated effort to use the 360 technologies for half of my dives and then wait until I got home to review most of the footage and edit short videos (under 3 minutes).

I'm still in the learning curve regarding how to shoot and edit using the Insta360 X3, but it has some pretty good results overall. I will say that for social media postings, this technology is well suited to edit using their proprietary software on your iPhone or iPad and posting direct to Instagram, Facebook or Tic-Tok.

At home using my postproduction desktop computer, I edit each clip using Insta360 Studio software and export it to a folder for use with my main editing software, VEGAS. The Insta360 Studio software doesn't allow you add different clips to the editing timeline, so you have to edit each clip individually and export it for use with other editing software. The exported clips from Insat360 Studio can be a little glitchy as the create weird noises at times when editing them together. I've been adjusting scenes to eliminate the noises by shortening or lengthening the clips (which works).

Here is my first edit of a dive on the North side of Little Cayman at a site called Bus Stop using the Insta360 X3 and UW housing. Watch at 2160P resolution on YouTube (click on gear wheel icon, select advanced then select 2160P).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom