Game changer, stunning footage from the insta360 X3 with the just released updated dive housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Time will tell but I don't think this is going to be a trend that ends, I believe this concept will stick around for two reasons. The first is the simplicity of there being no decisions at all, you buy one package and you get everything you need which includes the software. There is basically a 15min learning curve with this camera. The second is influencers run the world right now and they want themselves in the shots so I expect a ton more footage to come out over the year which will attract the next generation of divers. I'm sure the software will improve over time and eventually will remove the fish eye. Sigh, I'm getting old...ha ha

This can be useful though, you don't need to constantly pan around and the best potential part is it captures footage behind you. You can also set it up to pick target to follow so you can put it on a dive buddy for 5 seconds, then move to waypoint to follow a different dive buddy for the next 5 seconds then have it follow a shark for the next 20 seconds (for example)

I looked at this camera awhile back and passed it by due to the poor stitching at the bottom of the original underwater case. Since this appears to have been addressed, it might be worth another look. 🤔

It also sounds like the software has advanced.

Being able to pick when you are "panned" toward self vs forwards might create some unique "what the wildlife saw" type perspectives if desired. It would also allow one to compare actual body position vs perceived.

When these types of cameras are used on motorcycles, it seems like a drone is pacing the motorcycle.

A unique perspective that could as said earlier compelling or gimmicky.

Here's the difference between the two, note I haven't used the older housing before

Everything too distorted and stretched for my taste. I am sorry, but it’s a No for me

Are you still letting software edit for you or have you taken over?

I noticed the casing reflection a few times, but it's still kind of neat.

Are you still letting software edit for you or have you taken over?

I noticed the casing reflection a few times, but it's still kind of neat.

Agreed that it's not perfect but hopefully improves with time. Only the swim-through is auto edited, the rest are manual to capture the subject yet I still want to showcase the uniqueness of the 360 capability so am adding what many may consider "unnecessary" rotations. Auto prioritizes movement so if you filmed a sea turtle just chilling motionless it will probably be cut from the auto-footage

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom