Blade or Split Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use Blades when I travel... lighter and better in strong currents. I use Apollo Bio-Fins at home.

My first set of fins were split fins (recommended by the LDS) I really had no problems with them until I wanted to learn to maneuver better. I had difficulty frog kicking with them. I practiced a lot in my pool at home, and found that i was having some difficulty with trying to make small adjustments in my position, mainly backing up.

Then I picked up some used turtle fins on Craigslist and was amazed at the difference. I was suddenly able to make the micro changes in position I desired. It was suddenly a breeze to make the tight turns in our pool. I then took them on my last dive to Blue Springs, Fl & found that these smaller fins seemed to improve my ability to change positions without kicking the walls or the other divers.

I still like my split fins and used them on my last dive in St. Martin. We did 3 dives in he same day and I never got tired.

I used regular fins for my first couple dives and a friend suggested splits, wow what a difference in velocity and comfort. Great product.

I still can't decide which I prefer. Got caught in some rippin' current several days ago and felt like my Atomic split fins weren't quite giving me the push I needed; however, with my more leisurely dives they are so much easier on my knees.

I'm sooo confused....Can I get a dive bag big enough to carry 3 sets of fins???? Then can I carry the dive bag??? So many questions......

I'm sooo confused....Can I get a dive bag big enough to carry 3 sets of fins???? Then can I carry the dive bag??? So many questions......

I use a big black Stanley rolling toolbox. It's a solid plastic storage bin with wheels. Wet stuff goes in, keeps the vehicle dry. Might not work for boats. Might do OK for beach entries if you don't need to drag it through too much sand.

Doubles as a gear stand. :wink:

Anyone try the Tusa X-pert Zoom fins compared to those Apollo bio-fins

I have compared the X-pert Zooms against the Apollo's, The Zooms are absolute garbage, in the test I was doing we were comparing about 15 pairs of fins. The Zoom didn't even make the first cut, they were the second worst fins tested, the Mor-fins were the worst

I am sure this topic has been discussed once or twice. But i am getting so many Mixed reviews. I Currently have the Turtle Fins. and they seem to be good no real issues i did a pretty long dive or well i should say my longest dive No Cramps got a little tired but nothing abnormal. I am new to diving but my LDS recomend these said that these are the best choice as most divers use them. All my diving so far has been in PA "Dutch Springs" and NJ is where I live so some east coast diving will be done eventually this is where 99% of my diving will be done. I have been contemplating on getting a Pair of Atomic Split Fins. My LDS said i would most likely be wasting my money but they would be more then happy to sell them to me. Just would like some others opinons is it worth to get them or Just use and stick with what i got. Thanks for your help

I have volos power, tried the slingshots (looked cool performed ok), and the scubapro twinjets, from the shop demos, after the twins will nerver wear anything else....smooth, power and no stress to ankle foot or legs

I own 6 sets of fins, 2 styles of force fins, splits, all have their good points (except the splits I hate them)my favorite all around, hands down is my old US DIVERS Blades, If I had to pick one for all diving they would get it

Anyone try the Tusa X-pert Zoom fins compared to those Apollo bio-fins

I happen to have both.. and several others... split fins are odd ducks to swim with, they require a very different kick than normal fins.. and many people don't either know how to or were not shown how to do it correctly.

I do a mile swim once a week with fins just for practice.. I've used at least 5 different types of fins..the easiest and fastest is the Apollo fins...but they really suck when it comes to doing a frog kick....next is the Xpert Zoom fins.. they don't suck.. but are stiffer and not as efficient.

Note: The kick is something like peddling a bicycle.. you use the big leg muscles mostly.. unlike regular fins where you use your ankle more. Try to do a paddle kick with splits or a split fin kick with paddles and they don't work.

If you are a long time diver, the odds are, you will not like split fins...if you are new to diving.. most people love them. If I absolutely had to make a 2 or 3 mile swim...I would want split fins on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom