Blindfold source

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

risc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Cavern and Intro Cave certified and I wanted to get a blindfold for practice before going back for full cave. I thought that would be easy, but my searches are coming up empty. Anyone know a source for one that covers a full size mask?

I'm not interested in making one, if anything is available off the shelf.

Cavern and Intro Cave certified and I wanted to get a blindfold for practice before going back for full cave. I thought that would be easy, but my searches are coming up empty. Anyone know a source for one that covers a full size mask?

Maybe these stores:

Of course you can use a blindfold. But duct taping over a backup mask takes 30s (ok a minute if you want to draw funny eyes on it) and works better (blindfolds often leave a little gap around the edge somewhere)

In addition to the earlier linked stores, Dive Rite and Mares make covers as well

I've absconded with a few of my wife's no-show, low-cut liners over the years. . .

They're cheaper, and if you use the tan ones they simulate 0 viz conditions more realistically than being completely blacked out.

Good on you for wanting to practice low vis drills, it’s something that typically isn’t practiced after training concludes. However, please don’t do it in the cave :) zero vis drills in class are done with a high level of attention and control by the instructor, and you can put yourselves at risk and damage the cave doing it in your own.

As for blindfolds, the Santi ones work well, but you can just close your eyes for practice and accomplish the same thing. Using a backup mask that’s taped over isn’t ideal since you can’t pull it off and restore vos quickly if you need to. That’s why we use blindfolds in training, if the student is uncomfortable or things start to go sideways, we can pull them off quickly and end the drill.

Good on you for wanting to practice low vis drills, it’s something that typically isn’t practiced after training concludes. However, please don’t do it in the cave :) zero vis drills in class are done with a high level of attention and control by the instructor, and you can put yourselves at risk and damage the cave doing it in your own.

As for blindfolds, the Santi ones work well, but you can just close your eyes for practice and accomplish the same thing. Using a backup mask that’s taped over isn’t ideal since you can’t pull it off and restore vos quickly if you need to. That’s why we use blindfolds in training, if the student is uncomfortable or things start to go sideways, we can pull them off quickly and end the drill.
All good points. This would be in open water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom