Blue Crabs - Italy & Mediterranean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jake 10

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Blue crabs are known as a delicacy in the Mid-Atlantic and southern United States, from the Chesapeake to the Gulf Coasts. But in Italy, where this invasive species has migrated to Mediterranean waters with no natural predators, locals are only just learning of creative—and as it just so happens, delicious—solutions to combat the scourge.

1692712826100.png

see full story here

more to come

ANSA) - ROME, AUG 21 - An invasion of blue crabs in the northern Adriatic is jeopardising the economy of an entire region, Emilia-Romagna Governor Stefano Bonaccini said after a summit on the crisis with regional health and fisheries chiefs, as well as local clam fishers, on Monday. "We need people in Rome to understand that this disaster is putting at risk the lives of thousands of families and businesses," said the centre-left opposition Democratic Party (PD) heavyweight. "And its risks destroying an economy which not only provides a livelihood for a community, but which is an Italian and European excellence, together with other identity products of this region like Parma ham or Parmigiano". Veneto, to the north, has already declared war on blue crabs, which are reportedly wrecking havoc on the local clam population in the Po delta area. Veneto governor Luca Zaia showed reporters two live specimens during a recent press conference, claiming that the crustaceans "break everything and cause disasters".

All they need is to ship ~ 50 guys from Dundalk over there. Problem solved:)

If we learned to eat lionfish they surely can learn to eat blue crab., let's send them some Old Bay
What I would REALLY like to do is tell them how God awful they are and have them ship them over here, lol... for pennies on the dollar of course:)!

They have completely ruined some fisheries and they are starting to mess with mussels. Like you guys with lionfish it will take time until we learn to eat them.

They have completely ruined some fisheries and they are starting to mess with mussels. Like you guys with lionfish it will take time until we learn to eat them.
Well... I'm sure there's plenty of YT videos, but they're about as delicious as you can get (personal opinion). Steam, don't boil. Old bay, rock salt, beer, vinegar. ~ 18-22 min later you're ready to feast.

Sitting around with friends and family eating MD crabs is some of my earliest memories. Good times.

Well... I'm sure there's plenty of YT videos, but they're about as delicious as you can get (personal opinion). Steam, don't boil. Old bay, rock salt, beer, vinegar. ~ 18-22 min later you're ready to feast.

Sitting around with friends and family eating MD crabs is some of my earliest memories. Good times.
It has been mentioned that the Italians are using the crab meat in some of their traditional dishes. I would suggest they try eating the crabs "American style." Much of the enjoyment is how a group of family and friends can sit around a big table covered with paper and crack the boiled (sorry--steamed) crabs with a mallet. I would think this would appeal to Italians very much.

It has been mentioned that the Italians are using the crab meat in some of their traditional dishes. I would suggest they try eating the crabs "American style." Much of the enjoyment is how a group of family and friends can sit around a big table covered with paper and crack the boiled (sorry--steamed) crabs with a mallet. I would think this would appeal to Italians very much.
Agreed.

I know it has to be weird eating a "sea spider" to someone that hasn't grown up around that, but they really are my fondest memories from being a kid

I live in an area in south Jersey with more Italian restaurants per-capita compared to any other cuisine. They all throw jumbo lump crab on everything. You want some braciole? Well you're gonna get some braciole with a mound of crab meat on it.

I guess it's a benefit of being close enough to the Chesapeake.

Back
Top Bottom