Blue Heron Bridge Poachers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...Certainly both recreational and commercial tropical fish collectors are legaly entitled to land tropical fish at the Phil Foster boat ramps, yes?

Great point! I think its unfair that fisherman may harvest from the pier but divers can't 50' away. Does anyone have information as to where the boundaries of said 'protected area' stop- such as a statute number?

There is a no take law at the Blue Heron Park. It is not a county park, It is a state park. If you are caught taking From the park as a diver or snorkling you well be ticketed. If I see you you will be caught I will and have made the call. Stood there until the Park Ranger came and did his thing. It is a no no.

Skeeter:

I thought it was Phil foster Park and the County had jurisdiction over it. I'm not sure where Blue Heron Park is, maybe we are talking about a different place?
I searched on Google Earth and could not find it under that name?

If it is a State Park, then how can the county make an ordinance to regulate it? Seems like the State would make the rules for State facilities?

The letters seem to reference tropical fish. I did not see a reference to a prohibition of other types of marine life? I am beginning to wonder if the County did little more than "put up a few signs". If so, we should ALL be concerned about it.

I personally do not collect tropical marine life there or elsewhere.

Ahhhha Hopefully the answer to your question is NO. This area is a mecca for the unusual bringing divers from all over to experience the sight of animals that cannot be found elsewhere & in such variety. Interfere with that & the imbalance could be permanent . Already we are concerned what the construction will do to this very unique area.
PS I also feel that collecting here is like shooting a sleeping hogfish

That last comment is pretty funny. :rofl3::rofl3:
I know you can not spearfish there (due to proximity to the fishing peir), but I have used a hand net to capture hogfish and other fish at night (for human consumption). Hogfish are not considered tropical fish per Florida Statute.

The PBSO had 3 or 4 cars sitting in the parking lot all day yesterday.
I passed them twice looking for a spot to stage my gear.
On a similar note, I saw a guy with a tickle stick and bag under the east span.
He had nothing in the bag which was a good thing.
I guess other have poached all the lobster already.
Before lobster season, I would see bugs under the sunken boats.
Yesterday....I saw NOTHING!!!!!
Makes me sad.
I like a nice bug for dinner as much as the next person but the laws are there for a reason.

If you see people catching lobsters, or even trying to catch them, get out of the water and call the FWC. They will come, we know from experience. In 22 dives there I have only ever seen maybe one legal sized lobster.

So what are the in water boundries for the park? Is there a distance from shore?

Skeeter:
There is a no take law at the Blue Heron Park. It is not a county park, It is a state park.
Skeeter:
No, it is a Palm Beach County Park. John D. MacArthur is a State Park. State Parks are absolutely off limits to collecting. COUNTY parks like Phil Foster are not quite so clear. There are permits that allow it.

Last edited:
Phil Foster Park has been made a no take area from the shore only. If a person goes from shore to collect the park rangers have jurisdiction, and can issue citations, and make them release the catch.

If the person comes by boat then the park rangers have no jurisdiction. I have spoken with Marine Patrol & Fish & Wildlife officers. As long as the person has a valid salt water license there is nothing that can be done at this time. The next step will be to make the area a no take zone with the state. Then Marine Patrol & Fish & Wildlife can help stop this. Until then if by boat it is legal.

That last comment is pretty funny. :rofl3::rofl3:
I know you can not spearfish there (due to proximity to the fishing peir), but I have used a hand net to capture hogfish and other fish at night (for human consumption). Hogfish are not considered tropical fish per Florida Statute.

That was meant in the same vein as "taking candy from a baby" ie un sportsman like

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom