Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1697753583528.png

From left to right around the table.

Wayward Son
Me
Dmoore19
Greg (I think he's a member of SB)
Karenda (don't think she is here)
Mr. Chen

Hey Everyone, now we'll know how to spot for you guys in the parking lot :)

I think we made a wrong turn yesterday and ended up at the 'green heron bridge' by mistake ;(

1697815681101.png

Only about 10-12 ft. Saw @Pipehorse in the parking lot but didn't think fast enough to check out his new prescription mask.
We did appreciate his 3mm suggestion through. We measured 79-81 on the computers. Even with mediocre conditions, Nathalie got a few close-ups of some of the regular suspects that reminded us of better days. On a good note, parking was a breeze.
1697815834229.png
1697815854935.png
1697815841891.png

1697815826051.png

Went to the bridge for diving Thursday and today. Yesterday conditions were the same as Wednesday. Brown Green water 10-15ft of visibility with 79f sea temp. Today things were much improved. Some blue water finally moved in. Visibility was 35ft, and sea temp was 82f. Given the warmer water I switched back to my shorty wetsuit. I hate wetsuits. So I prefer the shorty to the 3mm, and the 3mm to the 5mm. Probably only have a week or two max before I am back into the 3mm, and 5mm until next May, ughhh!. The cold water divers must be thinking, this guy is complaining about sea temps in 70s, seriously? Been in Florida now for 31 years, I guess this what happens, but I digress.

Arrived at 1115 for 1301 high tide. Snorkeled the trail prior to diving and did a REEF fish survey of 48 species in 50 minutes. Returned to my truck donned my scuba and back in out the west side. Still getting used to the prescription lens, but they are vast improvement. Did another REEF fish survey 63 species in 65 minutes. Wondered around the bridge pilings, underneath the pier, around the last bridge piling next to the channel barrier, and returned towards the beach. Just prior to exiting, decided to spend 10 or 15 minutes peering through the lower part the bifocals with my mask inches from the bottom. Looking at the images @MrChen posted here, and that others post on inaturalist of nudibranchs, it is apparent from scale of the algae they are situated on, most of these mollusks are itsy bitsy and tiny. So it was tiny nudibranchs I was searching for. No nudibranchs, instead I rewarded with a seahorse as tiny as I have seen. Couple months back at LBTS I found one just as tiny. Unfortunately one of the limits of the iphone in the Sealife Sportdiver housing is super macro capability. I did my best but could not get a really clear shot. Nevertheless, while inspecting the photos I was surprised to find a second seahorse just as tiny, that I did not see when getting the photo.

It leaves me with a couple questions. Did I just get lucky with these two seahorses, i.e. are they always there and we haven't noticed them before? I would think the nudibranch hunters would be finding them often, collaterally while hunting nudibranchs, but I don't see any reports of tiny seahorse. It also makes me wonder about focal distance. While we all search for small macro type subjects at the bridge, some have a talent for finding small critters of one phylum but can't find small critters of another phylum. Its almost as if we have trained shape recognition with in the various focal points we use while searching. Okay, I will stop now before I start writing thesis of a paper. I am going to post the seahorse image, just don't be too disappointed, the seahorse are fuzzy but you can clearly see two individual seahorse, no pun intended.
Respectively, Angelfish Squadron, Hairy Blenny in a Bottle, Seahorses, and Spotted Scorpion in yellow mimicking the sponge in the background.
EDIT: Adding the video of the tiny seahorse for LBTS after the images, the two I observed today were smaller.

10-20-23 Angelfish Squadron.jpg
10-20-23 Hairy Blenny.jpg
10-20-23 Seahorses.jpg
10-20-23 Spotted Scorpion.jpg

Dwarf seahorses have been found at the bridge. I may have found one last year (?) but am not in the mood to comb through all the photos. From what I recall, the dwarf(s) are only here for a very short period, then move on.

I’d love to see one of those.

Searching through SB came up with this marvelous photo on some déjà vu thread @Scuba_Jenny :)

1697886405969.jpeg

I got one of those seavision masks but unfortunately they didn’t make lenses for my goto mask so I hastily chose one that seemed to fit ok on land but now starts leaking an hour into the dive. Grr. They have a small round bifocal area which creates what looks like a raised circular mound in the field of vision. Takes some getting used to.

Glad to hear the water is getting clearer :)

Since we have wandered Into corrective lenses, I seem to remember seeing stick-on lens inserts to essentially make any existing mask into bifocals. Does anyone else remember these? Are they still available? 🤓

Back to the main topic, that seahorse picture is great. In well over 200 dives I’ve seen precisely 1 (one!) seahorse in the wild, and failed to get a picture of him. 🤨 Seeing more seahorses ranks high on my bucket list. Getting some good pix would be nice too! 😊

🐸

Since we have wandered Into corrective lenses, I seem to remember seeing stick-on lens inserts to essentially make any existing mask into bifocals. Does anyone else remember these? Are they still available? 🤓

They can still be found. I have them in a couple of masks. I also use similar lenses in the safety glasses that I use for certain types of work.

Hydrotac is one brand name. There are others. Normally, they go on with a drop of water, then you wait for them to dry before using them. I usually get about 40ish dives before they start to peel off. I use baby shampoo for anti-fog. I don't know if that causes them to come off prematurely, or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom