Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went to the bridge for diving yesterday. Arrived early 0800 for a 1058 high tide. It was not crowded at all for the duration of my stay in the park yesterday. Decided it was to windy and the water a little to green to snorkel prior to dive. Did an Ebird survey, and went looking for mollusk shells prior to diving.

Entered the water on the westside at 0925. Blue water had moved in to replace the green water. Visibility was not as good as Tuesday. About 35 ft, blue and hazy. Sea temp up to 75f. The image I identified yesterday as a crab or shrimp is actually a "Squat Lobster", I have no idea what species, as most of Squat Lobster species are from the Pacific. Did a REEF survey of 57 species in 65 minutes. The rest of the dive seemed be an Octopus dive. Must of seen at least a dozen of them. Found a worm I could not identify, and a nudibranch I could not identify. Did not find any fish I could not identify :). But the time I exited the water at 1145 wind most of have been blowing out of the south at 25 knots, crazy. Respectfully, up close Frogfish, Leopard Sea Robin, Tangled Octopus, and Octopus.

04-11-24 Frogfish-1.jpg
04-11-24 Leopard Searobin-1.jpg
04-11-24 Octopus-1.jpg
04-11-24 Octopus1-1.jpg

The rest of the dive seemed be an Octopus dive. Must of seen at least a dozen of them.
Love Octo's and marked your note on my annual calendar. Your great picts suggest the octo's are out in the open and easy to spot. Any guess's why so many around? (chg water temp, salinity, lol>eclipse)
I always learn ALOT from your dive reports, Thank you!!

Love Octo's and marked your note on my annual calendar. Your great picts suggest the octo's are out in the open and easy to spot. Any guess's why so many around? (chg water temp, salinity, lol>eclipse)
It was probably the eclipse. They came out to see who turned out the lights and make sure that nobody was going to do it again today. :wink:

Jokes aside, I have no idea whey they were out in good numbers. I'd also be interested in hearing theories as to why that might have happened.

@Johnoly I think April and May are breeding season for the Atlantic Long Arm Octopus. There are always a lot of them around during those two months.

@Jaan, I think that might be a Juvenile Slippery Dick that decided to jump into the middle of Octagon between the Arrow Crab and Coral Shrimp. Ever notice how a lot of the Red Banded Coral shrimp are missing a claw, or maybe both? Pretty sure it is because they brutalize each other by doing amputations.

Went to the bridge for diving yesterday. Conditions were similar to Thursday, except wind was blowing out of the North instead of south. Visibility was 30ft, sea temp was 75f. Park was moderately crowded, I guess more people show up on a Friday.

Entered on the westside, and let the current take me through the "ditch" and north of the pier. Found a Lined Seahorse and Frogfish in the ditch. Observed the strangest looking shrimp (I think was a shrimp) on a bunch of Bryozoan. It had a very long stick like body, and seemed to be able to bend entirely in half at the waist to propel itself into a hop. It was tiny though, and I had a tough time keep my eyes on it, never mind trying to get an image of it. Found a nudibranch of genus Doto depositing eggs on the branch of a hydroid. The nudibranch is a cool find, but in the image just above the branch with the eggs on it, there are small antenna and eye. It looks like some kind sand flea shrimp, tiny, I only manage to see it while editing the image. Still experimenting with the LX10 and a macro lens, should have it dialed in another dozen or so dives. Did a REEF fish survey of 70 species in 70 minutes. Other observations of note were a Long Snout Seahorse (I think), Lionfish, Plumed Scorpionfish, and Atlantic Leatherjackets. Respectively, Babded Brittle Star, Pointed Venus Clam, Doto nudibranch with small shrimp, Plumed Scorpion, and video from Thursday of Octopus out and about.

04-12-24 Brittle Star.JPG
04-12-24 Coquina.JPG
04-12-24 Doto.JPG
04-12-24 Plumed Scorpion.JPG

Dive from Tuesday, a couple photos...
I think this is a grass porgy, with a weird color combo....
1459 01 grass porgy.jpg

A snooty eel. That left eye doesn't look good
1459 02 eel.jpg

We made it to my favorite area and it did not disappoint. A seahorse majestically looked on.
1459 06 seahorse 1.jpg

Found the object of my search, a dwarf froggie. @Brant Emery found the second one moments later
1459 08 dwarf froggie.jpg

Photobombing by a planhead filefish
1459 10 planehead filefish.jpg

After the previous dive, when at the shower I spoke to another diver who gave me some intel on a little seahorse. I'd been looking for it on the first dive without success, so with plenty of air and a general direction, I headed back in. Dive did not disappoint. Found everything in the first 45 minutes, but stayed double that.

All photos shot with natural light. It didn't seem to matter with the seahorses, they wanted nothing to do with a photog and the possibility of strobes flashing in their eyes. Patience pays, but even then the photos are less than stunning.. all seahorses refused to pose.

This little nudi is measured in mm.. That is a blade of seagrass or something similar. For as little as it is, it is remarkably fast and this was the best shot.
1460 02 nudi.jpg

Found a seahorse. Not the one I was looking for though.
1460 03 seahorse 1.jpg

Awwwhhh there it is! The object of my search! Too bad it and other have had strobes stuck in their faces so much the first thing it does is turn its back on the diver. Patience....
1460 05 seahorse 2.jpg

Bonus!!!!!! The dwarf seahorse, male. It was out and about. So freaking adorable. Love the colors. About an inch tall.
1460 08 seahorse 3.jpg

And another bonus. Seahorse #4 (5 for the day!!!) This was the best shot. Again, too many previous strobes and this guy wanted nothing to do with me.
1460 09 seahorse 04.jpg

Golden Coral Shrimp Takes On Arrow Crab at the Bridge!

Fortunately, that dwarf sand perch stepped in to break it up before anyone got badly hurt!

Loved the chest bump :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom