Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went to the bridge for diving Monday and Tuesday, went to LBTS Saturday and Sunday, LBTS post is here
LBTS. On Monday for 1300 high tide the park was crowded. On Tuesday for a 1400 high tide not so much. Sea temp was 81f on Monday with excellent vis in the 50ft range. Sea temp was 82f on Tuesday with 35ft of vis. For those wondering about the temperature rise, on April 23 I recorded 74f, and remember thinking when is the damn water going to ever heat up? Perusal of historical trends will confirm this time of year is when the sea temp rises rapidly.

Finally time to ditch the 5mm in favor of the 3mm. With the 3mm and a steel tank I should be able to get away with 6lbs of lead. With the 3mm and an aluminum tank I should be able to get away with 9lbs of lead. For those interested, I use mostly aluminum 63, or hp steel 80 at the bridge. Sometimes if it is going to be a shorter dive I will use aluminum 50, and if I haven't kept up with tank fills will use LP steel 85.

I would like to mention that Reef Environmental Education Foundation is started publishing a quarterly newsletter just for fish surveying. This is in addition to their monthly enews letter "Making it Count". I wrote an article for the new quarterly newsletter. For some here the article might seem familiar. That's because it is based on post I did here in scubaboard about the presence and location of Web Burrfish vs. Striped Burrfish. The article can be viewed here. Data Deep Dive

On Monday snorkeled the trail prior to diving. Fighting conchs are omnipresent at BHB. All one needs is to look around in the sand to find one. But on Monday there was a more normal aggregation on the snorkel trail. I counted 300+ in an area no bigger than 15ft by 15ft. I don't know if the aggregation was about food or sex, odds are it was one or the other. Did a REEF survey while snorkeling of 49 species in 55 minutes. Found a live Thrush Cowrie but did not have my camera. Exited the water and got scuba gear and camera as fast I could but did not relocate the Thrush Cowrie. For those not familiar the an image of the Thrush Cowrie can be seen here on inaturalist Thrush Cowrie. When I found the shell of one not to long ago I thought for sure it was a Pacific species that somebody had tossed off the fishing pier, because I had never observed one before. But it turns out to be endemic to south Florida. Always great to find a new species.

Ok so I won't bury the lead on the scuba observations, I managed to get on another Sea Spider Monday. It gets better though, I am pretty sure it is a different species than the Lentil Sea Spider I observed on Friday. The Lentil Sea Spider was small, but actually stood out very well against the Brown Bryozoan and Hydroids it was perched on, it had a well defined blue color, without any embellishment on the exoskeleton. The one observed on Monday was kind of fuzzy. A fish analogy might be a Longsnout Seahorse with no fleshy appendage, compared to a Lined Seahorse with lots of fleshly appendages. However I do not know what one would call a "fleshy appendage" on an exoskeleton. As a result of the better camouflage of the Monday species it made it difficult to get good images. Nevertheless see the image and video below.

05-14-2024  Sea Spider2.jpg

Recall that in my last post I mentioned observing a King Helmet Shell last Friday that a prospective home buyer of a Giant Hermit Crab was in the midst of inspecting. I opined at the time that the aperture of the shell was not suitable to inhabitance by the said Giant Hermit Crab. One might find it analogous to buying a house where you can't fit through the front door. Yesterday about 100ft away from where I originally observed the Giant Hermit Crab home buyer, I observed the image below. It is the same shell, and I am guessing the same Giant Hermit Crab. So much for what estimation of what is good housing or not for Giant Hermit Crabs.

05-14-2024  Kings Helmet.jpg

Below are other images of interesting denizens of Blue Heron Bridge. Respectively, Bumble Bee Shrimp, Common Marginella, and Touch Me Not Worm

05-08-24 Bumble Bee.jpg
05-14-2024  Mrginellla.jpg
05-14-2024  Touch Me Not.jpg

on Feb 29th. I just realized I didn't have it while packing my gear for a trip.
Where did you dry your gear out after the dive on Feb 29th?

I rinsed the gear at the showers. I was parked near the fish cleaning station. The gear was dried at my Condo in Vero Beach. I have searched the condo, it is not there.

Lost Shearwater Perdix on Feb 29th in BHB parking lot. I believe I left my Perdix after diving on Feb 29th. I just realized I didn't have it while packing my gear for a trip.

Almost three months ago??!! That is a tall order. I would suggest you call Pura Vida and Force-E Riviera Beach. Most divers will turn gear (without a name and phone number) into one of those two shops. You could also post on the Blue Heron Bridge Dive Club Facebook group.

To hopefully help in the future, I would also recommend both putting your name and phone number on the start-up splash screen on your Shearwater computer as well as a waterproof label with your name and phone number. I have those labels on just about everything. Most of us divers, assuming that is who picked it up, will always try and get things back to the owner IF we are able to determine who they are.

Good luck and hope it turns up!

Made a quick hop down to Jupiter and Riviera Beach over the weekend.
At the bridge, I was able to get a parking spot as the rains started to push some of the beach-goers out. Just as we started to enter the water the lifeguard closed the water. The booths closed and there was a mad-dash to get out there. The visibility was pretty good considering it was pouring rain. We explored around the piles, sailboat, and docks and by the time we made it to the lower span the visibility and current had changed. We didn't get to hunt the grasslines for seahorses this time but came across two octopus, lots of fish and eels. Here are a couple photos I snapped:

Attachments

• baby_drum.jpg
    baby_drum.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 20
  • BandedShrimp.jpg
    BandedShrimp.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 19
  • eel.jpg
    eel.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 19
  • FlameScallop.jpg
    FlameScallop.jpg