Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So how do the upgrades look and have all of the new attractions been set?
All of the photos on the facebook page look great!
So what's everyone's thoughts?

The new modules look pretty cool. Some are very shallow. At least one of them has already been utilized for nests of eggs.

Today was pretty muddy and maybe 12 ft visibility, tough to take video and snorkel, but we got wet anyway.

Oh yeah, there are a couple of lionfish under the boat which is under the east bridge.

Last edited:
Saw one of lionfish there
Quite the contrast in vis between Saturday and Sunday
Managed to get hauled up by fisherman who caught my buoy on the East bridge
Normally I win these, but dude was using a handheld spool. I gave up when I saw my line dissappearing at the surface

I saw a lionfish Friday at the mirror boat.

I routinely carry a pole spear while diving BHB specifically targeting lionfish - what's the issue? AFAIK as long as you have a license you are able to take what ever you want if you meet size limits and other stipulations of the FWC - including frogs, sea horses, etc. I myself have been routinely asked to live collect ornamentals for a soon-to-be sister in-law and have always politely declined. I cringe and will comment when I see people taking from such a great resource. That is one reason you rarely hear anyone specifically detailing the locations of those aquarium "prizes" - there's too many lurkers hoping to score. Taking a legal Flounder or a spiny isn't something I will do but if it happens, I'm not going to make a stink. Removing any lionfish is high on my list and I think it's awesome that we can use this forum to get them quickly removed

It is illegal to be diving with a pole spear there. You can not engage in spearfishing within 100 yds of the portion of the bridge from which people can hook and line fish. Catching tropical fish with nets etc. is legal. Vis looked like 30 or 40 ft yesterday there BTW.

Just in case you are not aware of this--the dive shops in the area do FREE group night dives about every 2 weeks as the high tides cycle around to the correct times......Pura Vida, ForceE, and BHB Scuba could tell you more.....look on their respective Facebook pages under events for date and time.
Thanks! I don't know if I am ready for a night dive. Still just getting comfortable in the water during the day. Lol!!! I am a super newbie diver so I think I am going to try and get some day dives under my belt before I hit the BHB at night. Thanks though!! :)

It seems if you are carrying a LF pole spear at the bridge, while illegal, most people look the other way. Mostly be discreet about it.
Collecting of "must see" critters is frowned upon, though legal.
for those that think taking sea horses and frog fish is a good idea. It's not. The sea horse will quickly die, it's diet is too finiky for the aquarist. And a frogfish? you will regret. They eat everything!

I routinely carry a pole spear while diving BHB specifically targeting lionfish - what's the issue?

Dumpster posted rules, and I would add, you can't even use a knife [FWC definition of Spearing]
Spearing is defined as "the catching or taking of a fish by bow hunting, gigging, spearfishing, or by any device used to capture a fish by piercing its body. Spearing does not include the catching or taking of a fish by a hook with hook and line gear or by snagging (snatch hooking)."

Spearfishing is defined as "the catching or taking of a fish through the instrumentality of a hand or mechanically propelled, single or multi-pronged spear or lance, barbed or barbless, operated by a person swimming at or below the surface of the water."

The guy I saw used a knife. It was a little close for comfort from my vantage point, and possibly a stupid move on his part. I don't think he'll be doing it again.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom