Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I came across a group of seven Giant Hermit Crabs
I think they are all out looking for you and hoping for a fancy new shell :) :)
Was out again today, and also saw lots of them ... many congregations. Perhaps celebrating?
Still didn't run across our friend though.

Also met some nice folks from Michigan, who were out diving (and asking about DRYFOBs :)

We saw a sea of flags as we headed out. Lots of messy divers kicking up the bottom
A few sample pics ...

1649467057988.png

1649467078086.png
1649467104229.png
1649467119169.png

The chart tells you when high or low tide occurs. So lets say 3:00pm is high tide. Then the incoming tide is going to start to slow down significantly just before 3:00 pm. Then it will slack at 3:00 pm (not move). Then it will reverse and start to moving in reverse direction by 3:15-3:20pm, this is not a hard fast rule. Sometimes it turns quick, sometimes it turns slow. If you have not been diving at the bridge before, a good rule of thumb is to enter the water approximately an hour before high tide, and exit approximately an hour afterwards. This is not written in stone. I see people entering 1.5 hours before high tide, and I typically might not exit until an 1.5 hours after high tide. Also if I get to there really early I might snorkel the trail before I even dive, say two hours before high tide. The idea of the hour before and hour after is the best visibility without to much current. Also if you google Blue Heron Bridge Dive, there are many good tip sheets, e.g. Nine Things You Need to Know Before Diving Blue Heron Bridge - Coleman Concierge .

If you have not been there before, its a relatively large area, that can be thought of as three areas, the eastside span, westside span, and snorkel trail in front of the beach. It would be very difficult to cover the whole area in one dive. Best to pick one side or the other, or just do the snorkel trail. Better yet, you can a hire a guide for a more local perspective. Its not necessary, but there are good guides available. @Scuba_Jenny does guides and she is on this thread all the time. Pura Vida divers and Force E also have guides for hire.

Oh and one or two other very important things, remember to use a frog kick, as opposed to a flutter kick. Flutter kick stirs up the bottom and reduces visibility for everybody. Be really aware of your buoyancy, its a shallow site so buoyancy control is somewhat more difficult than say on a sixty foot reef. Try to avoid making contact with the bottom or again it stirs everything up and reduces visibility, not to mention iddy biddy critters that might suffer damage from a human a thousand times their size. Good luck have some great dives!

+1 for using @Scuba_Jenny as a guide. We dove BHB a few years ago with her and she was both a delight and a true professional. Absolutely amazing at her ability to find the smallest of critters. Be safe

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 1050 for a 12:30 high tide. Plenty of parking when I arrived, it started to fill up while I was getting ready, but anybody who wanted a space could get one. It was more breezy than yesterday, and partly sunny. Water had a little bit more a green tinge to than yesterday so my expectations for visibility were lessened. Entered the water on the west side at 11:15. Visibility was diminished from yesterday but still decent at 40ft, sea temp remains 78f. Did a REEF fish count, 71 species in 60 minutes. Encountered the same Orange Filefish as yesterday, and a Nurse Shark that has been hanging around the pier and bridge pilings.

So as I started the dive I had it way in the back of my head, that perhaps I would come across the Beer Bottle Giant Hermit Crab in the shell I left for it to occupy. I thought it possible but unlikely. Twenty minutes into the dive I found it! It was located approximately 250 feet from where the beer bottle had been smashed and where the shell had been left. It looked like any Giant Hermit Crab in shell albeit the shell is in somewhat more polished state than the shells hermit crabs are usually using for homes. I had had some trepidation about the size of the shell, I thought it might be too big or too heavy, but it seems like a perfect fit, not bad for off the rack with no tailor to fit it. Respectively, a different hermit crab with great eyelashes, an Eyed Flounder with darker coloring than normal, a filefish of species not determined yet, Beer Bottle Hermit Crab with writing on its new shell, Beer Bottle Hermit Crab Homeless no longer, and Orange Filefish.View attachment 716317View attachment 716318View attachment 716319View attachment 716320View attachment 716321View attachment 716322
THANK YOU so much for the kind words! Much appreciated!

Pipehorse, love the videos and all. Glad to see Lucky has a new home.
Looks like the big hermit crab in the small shell is trying to evict the small crab in the big home..

I normally try to write this report on the day I dive, but was tired last night and skipped it. Went to the bridge for diving yesterday. Arrived at 1210 for a 1415 high tide. Parking was not an issue. It was less breezy from the day before, but water definitely had a green tinge to it. Not the mint green tinge which is the kiss of death in terms of visibility but a darker green tinge. Entered the water at 1238. Despite the "green tinge" visibility was still a solid 30ft, with sea temp at 76F. Did a REEF fish count 63 species in 60 minutes. The standout of the day was a female Lancer Dragonet. Not an unusual species for BHB, but the color was unusual. Some much so I thought it might be a different species. But when I got home and looked at Humann's book there was an image of a similar colored Lancer Dragonet taken at, guess where..., yes BHB. The second interesting find was a Neck/Decorator Crab. Again not an unusual species for BHB, but most of the Neck Crabs I observe have opted for a sponge motif, vs the one I saw yesterday which had opted for a brown algae, hydroid, and I think a few leafs for decoration. Respectively, Lancer Dragonet, Lancer Dragonet video, Neck Crab video.

04-08-22 Female Lancer Dragonet.jpeg

snuck outa work early yesterday for an evening high tide. Oh, so many seahorses, frogfish, lancer dragonets.. and finally got to see octo mom.. wow.. just wow...

Attachments

• 1294 01 seahorse 1.jpg
    1294 01 seahorse 1.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 1294 06 happy place.jpg
    1294 06 happy place.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 1294 08 lashes.jpg
    1294 08 lashes.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 1294 10 seahorse 6.jpg
    1294 10 seahorse 6.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 1294 15 preggo pedresons shrimp.jpg
    1294 15 preggo pedresons shrimp.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 1294 16 octo mom.jpg
    1294 16 octo mom.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 1294 18 nudis.jpg
    1294 18 nudis.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 44
  • 1294 21 seahorse 10.jpg
    1294 21 seahorse 10.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 39
A few more pics.

Attachments

• 1294 03 froggie 1.jpg
    1294 03 froggie 1.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 1294 07 froggie 2.jpg
    1294 07 froggie 2.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 1294 13 seaweed blenny.jpg
    1294 13 seaweed blenny.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 36
  • 1294 17 lancer dragonet.jpg
    1294 17 lancer dragonet.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 37
Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0740 for a 0836 high tide. It was a pain getting into the parking lot because the Singer Island Half Marathon was underway, with runners on the east and west side of the road. Once inside the parking lot, I was a little surprised at how many people were there even considering it was a weekend. I expect plenty of divers to be there for a high tide at 0836, but seemed like there was an abundance of snorkelers/beach goers for that time, perhaps still a lot of people from up north on vacation. Entered the west side at 0805, west side was blessedly uncrowded given the amount of cars in the parking lot. Visibility was 40ft, and sea temp was 76F. I was in a 3mm and 76f seems to be a threshold of shivering for me, should have had my 5mm on. As a result I only spent 75 minutes in the water. Did a REEF fish count 76 species in 75 minutes. Observed my first frogfish of the season today. But the standout today was an inanimate object.... a shark's tooth! Over one thousand dives at the bridge and I have never found a shark's tooth there before. I suspect it is from a Nurse Shark but not positive. Respectively, Florida Horse Conch, Lined Seahorse, Shark's Tooth, Sharptail Eel, Juvenile Spotted Trunkfish, and Striated Frogfish.
04-16-22 Florida Horse Conch.jpeg
04-16-22 Lined Seahorse.jpeg
04-16-22 Shark Tooth.jpeg
04-16-22 Sharptail Eel.jpeg
04-16-22 Spotted Trunkfish.jpeg
04-16-22 Striated Frogfish.jpeg

Once inside the parking lot, I was a little surprised at how many people were there even considering it was a weekend. I expect plenty of divers to be there for a high tide at 0836, but seemed like there was an abundance of snorkelers/beach goers for that time, perhaps still a lot of people from up north on vacation.

In my experience, Easter Weekend especially when it’s this late, is insane in South FL, both East & West coasts.

I plan to do a dive under the East bridge Monday am 4/18/22. I have only been under the bridge once, recently on a guided night dive. I have no clue where I went. Does anyone have a very basic map showing the pillars and major landmarks under the bridge?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom