Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I mean actually under the east bridge

The closest thing is the Reef Smart Guide to Palm Beach. It has quite a few pages on BHB including several 3D maps of some of the structures. One covers the east span. It’s available on Kindle or in print.

The closest thing is the Reef Smart Guide to Palm Beach. It has quite a few pages on BHB including several 3D maps of some of the structures. One covers the east span. It’s available on Kindle or in print.

Thank you...I have the Fort Lauderdale Reef Smart Guide...I will have to get that one also.

No clue. It’s not that big of a site honestly. Just go dive it and go from there.
I just like to draw up my own underwater maps for future reference showing where I find those special critters such as lionfish, morays and octopus...I will probably end up doing that.

would the city engineering dept have blueprints?

Randomly asking for that type of structural information about a bridge is a good way to get on a DHS list nowadays. It’s not a complicated layout, so you’re better off making your own diagram with estimated distances. Have fun at the bridge, it’s a cool place!

I just like to draw up my own underwater maps for future reference showing where I find those special critters such as lionfish, morays and octopus...I will probably end up doing that.
High tide is at 1003 on Monday. Given doing a two hour dive, one hour before high tide and one hour after high tide, still gives you time to reconnoiter the site before you dive. If you got there at say 0800 you can stand on the beach to the south look at the east span and count out the columns. This can be done for the north side of the east span as well by standing on finger piers next to the boat ramp. There are only what I call three landmarks besides the columns directly underneath the east span. In about the middle (lengthwise) there is a sunken sailboat hull wedged against the columns on the southside. A little further to the east and north of sailboat directly under the bridge (width wise) is the hull of another boat. And all the way east under the bridge is rip rap piled against the bridge footing. There are also other sunken boat hulls on the eastside both north and south but they lay further away from the bridge.

High tide is at 1003 on Monday. Given doing a two hour dive, one hour before high tide and one hour after high tide, still gives you time to reconnoiter the site before you dive. If you got there at say 0800 you can stand on the beach to the south look at the east span and count out the columns. This can be done for the north side of the east span as well by standing on finger piers next to the boat ramp. There are only what I call three landmarks besides the columns directly underneath the east span. In about the middle (lengthwise) there is a sunken sailboat hull wedged against the columns on the southside. A little further to the east and north of sailboat directly under the bridge (width wise) is the hull of another boat. And all the way east under the bridge is rip rap piled against the bridge footing. There are also other sunken boat hulls on the eastside both north and south but they lay further away from the bridge.
Thank you for your input. That is a good idea. I can pace off the pillars walking down the sidewalk and looking over the side and walking across the street. I can at least use the outer pillars and sidewalls as reference when down below. I don't care about accuracy...just a visual reference I saw the hulls and rip rap but there are many other little landmarks I noted under the bridge such as broken lengths of logs/pipes, construction debris, metal platforms, etc. All have interesting critters calling them home. For my own future reference I want to put these critter locations in my log books. I will not make them public. By the way I am a retired land surveyor crew chief, so I have a love of map making and may post a basic map here someday [as I just said, without showing any of the critter's homes.]

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0740 for a 0920 high tide. There was a decent crowd, but less so then yesterday. When I left there were sheriffs standing by to close the entrance, but there was plenty of parking unlikely it was going to fill all the way up with all the divers gone. Entered the water on the west side at 0810, visibility was 40ft, sea temp was 77f. Wore my 5mm suit, so I didn't have a problem with being cold today. Did a REEF fish count 66 species in sixty minutes. Given that it was a Sunday there were not many divers on the westside, and the constant background noise of boats seemed minimal for such a nice day. Respectively, French Ange cleaning a Bar Jack, Gray Triggerfish, Lined Seahorse, Sailfin Blenny, Spadefish wide angle, and another Spadefish wide angle.
04-17-22 French Angel cleaning a Barracuda .jpeg
04-17-22 Gray Triggerfish.jpeg
04-17-22 Lined Seahorse.jpeg
04-17-22 Sailfin Blenny.jpeg
04-17-22 Spadefish.jpeg
04-17-22 Spadefish1.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom