Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went to the bridge for diving to day. Arrived at 0835 for a 1003 high tide. It was not crowded when I arrived, but by the time I finished my dive the parking lot was somewhat more full, surprising given that it was a Monday and it was raining. Entered the water on the west side at 0900. Visibility was 40ft but with hazy glare to it, sea temp was 78f. Did a REEF fish count 69 species in 60 minutes. Standout for the day was Bandtail Sea Robin, with beautifully dark pectoral fins it kept furling and unfurling. Also of interest was a decorator/neck crab. Last week I reported one that had taken on a brown algae and leaf motif, as opposed to orange sponge motif I observe most often. The one I observed today has adopted a green feather algae motif. Respectively, Balloon Fish, Bandtail Sea Robin, Banner Gobies, Hitchhiker Anemone, Bandtail Sea Robin Video, and Neck/Decorator with green feather algae.

04-18-22 Balloonfish.jpeg
04-18-22 Bandtail Sea Robin.jpeg
04-18-22 Banner Gobies.jpeg
04-18-22 Hitchhiker Anemone.jpeg

Attachments

• BlueHeronBridgePillars-2.jpg
    BlueHeronBridgePillars-2.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 43

Attachments

• BlueHeronBridgePillars-2.jpg
    BlueHeronBridgePillars-2.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 43
Sheesh! Dived the east span many times, never thought there were that many pillars!!!

Updated sketch BHB east span pillars.View attachment 718327
This bridge is structure # 930545, maintained by FDOT.

You probably can get information about the basic geometry of the structure contacting them, some details may be withheld in order to avoid crazy people to damage the structure, but I'm sure length and width is available, anyone can take a measuring device and find out so it would be silly to make that secret.

Your labels are pretty close to how they code them nation wide. Spans are numbered west to east, standing on the end bent #1 by the west approach, then pile bent #2, 3, 4... . up to end bent #9. Then each pile is labeled from left to right, just like your sketch. That way if you refer to pile 8-1 everyone would know is the one at the top right, or pile 1-8 is at the bottom left, would come handy if anyone tells you there's a whatever by a particular pile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom