Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This bridge is structure # 930545, maintained by FDOT.

You probably can get information about the basic geometry of the structure contacting them, some details may be withheld in order to avoid crazy people to damage the structure, but I'm sure length and width is available, anyone can take a measuring device and find out so it would be silly to make that secret.

Your labels are pretty close to how they code them nation wide. Spans are numbered west to east, standing on the end bent #1 by the west approach, then pile bent #2, 3, 4... . up to end bent #9. Then each pile is labeled from left to right, just like your sketch. That way if you refer to pile 8-1 everyone would know is the one at the top right, or pile 1-8 is at the bottom left, would come handy if anyone tells you there's a whatever by a particular pile.
Why bother with FDOT when you can figure it out in google maps?
East Span Measurement.png

Interesting enough, the fishing pier on the west is about the same length.

Reactions: Ana
Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0845 for a 1045 high tide. When I arrived it was not crowded. Entered the water on the eastside at 0915, sea temp was 79f, visibility was 40 f, did a REEF fish count 61 species in 60 minutes. By far the standout was a Goliath Grouper under the east span bridge. I have seen Goliath Grouper on the west side several times this was the first time I observed one on the east side. Exited the water on the east side at 1020. Walked across the parking lot and entered the west side at 1025. Did another REEF fish count, 58 species in 75 minutes. Again I was a little surprised at how crowded the parking lot had become when I crossed from east to west. I can only surmise that there still must be a lot of vacationers taking advantage of the fine weather. Respectively, Black Sea Bass, Bluethroat Pikeblenny sharing a hole with a spaghetti worm, Goliath Grouper, large Queen Conch, Mangrove Tunicate, and Snook.
04-19-22 Black Sea Bass.jpeg
04-19-22 Female Bluethroat and Spaghetti Worm.jpeg
04-19-22 Goliath.jpeg
04-19-22 Large Queen Conch.jpeg
04-19-22 Mangrove Tunicate.jpeg
04-19-22 Snook.jpeg

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at the park at 0940 for a 1140 high tide. The parking lot was not crowded. Entered the water just east of the east lifeguard stand at 1020. Conditions remain the same as the last few days, 79f sea temp and hazy 40ft visibility. Did a REEF fish count 60 species in 60 minutes. Respectively, Common Mantis, Conch Eyes, Juvenile Porgy, Lane Snappers, Nurse Shark, Polka Dot Batfish, and Sharptail Eel.
04-20-22 Common Mantis Shrimp.jpeg
04-20-22 Conch Eyes.jpeg
04-20-22 Juvenile Porgy.jpeg
04-20-22 Lane Snappers.jpeg
04-20-22 Nurse Shark.jpeg
04-20-22 Polka Dot Batfish.jpeg
04-20-22 Sharptail Eel.jpeg

I spent today with a slate trying to figure out the best tools and methods to use to map these features. Understand I am only doing this for macrophotography purposes and to give new-to-the-site diver photographers an idea of where the critters might be hiding out. This is all eyeballed, nothing is to scale and it is a work in progress. I am leaving in another week so I am going to get as much of the territory covered as I can. if anyone wants to continue this after I leave... it's yours.
BlueHeronBridgePillars-5.jpg

Sounds like a good project, however.. I am very resistant to tell anyone where certain critters are. Too many people crowding them, and then there are the collectors.. Have you seen octomom yet? The night dive last week confirmed this. I wasn't real big about seeing her, but my buddies wanted to check her out. There were at least 7 divers already there when we (3) showed up. And that was AFTER the tide change, so no telling how many were there, and how many have been there.. 100s?

Sounds like a good project, however.. I am very resistant to tell anyone where certain critters are. Too many people crowding them, and then there are the collectors.. Have you seen octomom yet? The night dive last week confirmed this. I wasn't real big about seeing her, but my buddies wanted to check her out. There were at least 7 divers already there when we (3) showed up. And that was AFTER the tide change, so no telling how many were there, and how many have been there.. 100s?
Yes I did see her for an instant last Thursday on a guided night dive but we didn't stop for a visit. just a quick glance on the way by. I have no intention of mapping any specific critter locations...just the bottom terrain where you might be likely to find photo ops. I totally agree with you and if I get a lot of negative comments from the locals I will not pursue this project except for my own use.

Exactly, if divers want to find macro subjects then they should go find them without assistance of a map. It just gets a little over top sometimes, I have seen six photographers gang photograph a seahorse, completely unaware and unconcerned for the creatures well being and stress level.

Exactly, if divers want to find macro subjects then they should go find them without assistance of a map. It just gets a little over top sometimes, I have seen six photographers gang photograph a seahorse, completely unaware and unconcerned for the creatures well being and stress level.
I totally agree...I am just thinking of the outsiders like myself that spend thousands of dollars to come to this bridge for a couple days of photography and have no clue where to even start.

I totally agree...I am just thinking of the outsiders like myself that spend thousands of dollars to come to this bridge for a couple days of photography and have no clue where to even start.
I have been giving this a lot of thought and have decided not to post a map on social media. Even though I have no intention of showing specific critter location, anyone could take a basemap such as I want to create and add specific locations to it and then post it.

Well certainly a map showing location of objects would be of use to individuals that have not been there before. Of course if spending thousands of dollars, why not spend a little more and pay for a guide (at least the first dive anyway).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom