blue hole?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beautiful !!

Edit - the photo . Not Mr. Wart :D

Some outfits take divers fresh from the OW class to the Blue Hole. I met a girl in Roatan who'd just done it. Scared the bejesus out of her, but they let her go.

Yup, the same thing with the Blue Hole in Belize. When we went out there were twelve of us on the boat. Our group of four were the most experienced. I was a newly minted DM with about 200 dives. The four of us declined to do the dive. We could not see the point of rocketing down to 140 feet and mucking around in the "dark" for a few minutes to see the stalactites, all just to say we did a dive in the "Blue Hole".

Last edited:
Now just a minute here. This looks like an atoll, not a cavern on the bottom of the sea with the roof caved in.My understanding of an atoll is that it started as an island surrounded by coral reefs. As the island sank into the ocean, the reefs continued to grow upward, keeping pace with the sinking of the island, until eventually all that was left is a ring-shaped coral reef.

Not sure if it technically qualifies as an atoll as well, but it that Blue hole is most definitely a former cave with the roof collapsed - resulting in a cavern at the bottom of the sea. If you watch videos of it on youtube you can see the cave formations inside.

Yup. When we went out there were twelve of us on the boat. Our group of four were the most experienced. I was a newly minted DM with about 200 dives. The four of us declined to do the dive. We could not see the point of rocketing down to 140 feet and mucking around in the "dark" for a few minutes, all just to say we did a dive in the "Blue Hole".

It's a rite of passage to do the Dahab Blue hole Arch on a single 80.

That said the dive itself is beautiful, the coral wall from the Bells to the Blue Hole saddle is stunning.

I shot this quick video a few years ago at the Blue Hole in Belize with my first video rig. It's truly one of those "been there done that" dives. I think we were around 140 when we did the little swim around.

[vimeo]8565648[/vimeo]

The reason the Blue Hole in Belize looks like an atoll is because Jacques Cousteau blew open two inlets so he could get the Calypso inside. Been there done that don't bother. Down, dark, sucky vis, cold, waste of good air.

Reactions: Doc

Back
Top Bottom