Blue Lagoon or Twin Lakes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MichaelBaranows

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Since I can't go fishing this weekend my dive partner (dad) suggested going to Blue Lagoon for a few morning dives Saturday. I have only dove there twice and partner once so there is plenty to discover. But with Twins Lakes being closer I suggestion going there but he said he has heard conditions at Twin Lakes can be bad.

So I figured I would ask yall for a few pros and cons so I can figure out where to go.

Plus what water conditions can we expect if we get there early Saturday.

I prefer TL to Blue Lagoon. Vis the last couple of times I have been including last Sunday has been great. I usually go on Friday so I have the lake to myself. The entry and exit is really nice with the stairs. I'll be there this friday at noon if it isn't raining. The weekends in early morning are good but the vis goes down once the classes are in the water. There are alot of fish hanging around including some pretty good sized bass. If you want to go on friday let me know. I am usually at the second pier in a beige tahoe.

Gotta go with TL no matter what the viz is. That alkaline water in BL is just nasty.

I would have to also say TL. I was their last Wed and the vis was 25. The weekend before that I went to the BL and the vis was 5, to 10.

Went to TL Saturday morning for a few short dives. As a new diver it is good to see that there is a place some what close to home that I can get more bottom time and become more comfortable. We showed up a little after 800 and were able to start our dives before too many classes got in the water.

We made a nice dive down to about 30' which was a little below the thermocline of 77 degrees so it was a little chill for me dad in a shorty. But we were able to see a few perch and bass so there was more entertainment that BL. I would have to say the viz was a 15' which was alot better than what I was looking forward to.

The second dive was much shorter and shallower cause my dad was having some computer problems (O2 was set wrong) and I was running low on air. But we found the Airstream which wasn't hard. And next time I am going to be sure to look for more stuff.

Sunday we took a Peak Bouncany Clinic and feel like it will be very helpful. Maybe I can slow down my air use.

Michael,
Glad you liked TL, I definately like diving there, I mean its not the Flower Gardens, but the price is right and it sure is a nice way to get wet in the middle of the week. I am planning on going there this Friday, was thinking about Tiki Lake, but am going to wait a few more weeks until it gets cleaned up more. Anyone else in the mood to hit TL on Friday? :wink:

That's crazy, everyone picked TL over BL. I've dove BL 12 times in the last 6 months and didn't have too bad of a time. The viz was 15 - 20 ft. In fact, last Sat. I was on the bottom for about 45 min. and had a blast. I decided to make it a free dive, so my buddy and I just randomly swam around the bottom... running into familiar spots. That was a blast.

I've only dove TL once (last Nov. and the viz was 3-5 ft.) that was not fun.

I'll admit, since I live in The Woodlands, and am more familiar with BL, I prefer it to date. But if everyone is saying TL is better, I'm going to have to give it a second try.

ParamedicDiver1:
Michael,
Glad you liked TL, I definately like diving there, I mean its not the Flower Gardens, but the price is right and it sure is a nice way to get wet in the middle of the week. I am planning on going there this Friday, was thinking about Tiki Lake, but am going to wait a few more weeks until it gets cleaned up more. Anyone else in the mood to hit TL on Friday? :wink:

I plan to be there friday. I am usually there right when they open at 12. I'm in a beige tahoe and I use the second doc from the entrance. I don't use Swampers Point because I am usally by myself and I'm terrified of snakes so it's a little to woodsy for my taste. Let me know if ya want to meet up.

Judy

Back
Top Bottom