Blue or Indigo "Crown-of-Thorns?"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill,
if you do get a chance to dive the maldives,this is the atoll we dove.
http://www.sultansoftheseas.it/en/infoPSuvadiva.php
see if you can dive this area.
this southern atoll does not have the development that the northren atolls have
i've noticed that two more liveaboard fleets will be represented in the maldives.
the aggressor fleet and the peter hughes fleet.
regards,

Thanks for the suggestion, Smokey Braden. I'll have to see what LOB my dive buddy is arranging the trip on and find out if it visits that region.

This one is from the Phuket area. Focus is way off, but it shows the shape of the thing.

Attachments

• CrnOfThorns6711c.jpg
    CrnOfThorns6711c.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 37
The more I reflect on it (still haven't waded through my trip diary... it was a three month backpacking trip, so lots of text), the more I think I saw both of the blue COT's in Thailand. I do remember talking to an Australian biologist about it in Cairns, but he had never heard of blue COT's.

Hi Bill.
I saw a bunch of those in Burma (Mergui) in 2004, so yeah, right near Thailand. Gorgeous.
Susan

You get them in waters all around Thailand - they do get plagues of them every few years in the Red Sea and the dive centres carry out Reef Cleanups to round up the COTs and dispose of them, hence the reference to them being chopped into little pieces.

Cheers, C.

Back
Top Bottom