blue spring state park closed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

King's Spring is maybe a 5 min dive at the most. It is a very small cavern and not worth the effort to dive in my opinion.

they take the manatees pretty seriously at wakulla.
also, the boat props there have cages over them

Understand...but seriously,what has the chance for greater impact,a diver,or a boat that displaces several tons. I have been on the tour boat when you felt a thud,which was the hull striking the manatee.

Understand...but seriously,what has the chance for greater impact,a diver,or a boat that displaces several tons. I have been on the tour boat when you felt a thud,which was the hull striking the manatee.

in my mind? the boats i suppose
but the rangers will also pull swimmers out of the water. their rationale seems to be that they get comfortable with people here at the park and then take that with them and it gets them into trouble in the wild.
it seems to be the same at most state parks

I had this forwarded to me and thought I would share:

HFDtX88.png

When we played tourist and snorkeled with the manatees they said that although getting hit by the boat propellers was very damaging, the manatees have such thick tough skin that it usually isn't fatal. They said most of the fatalities were from the weight of the hull of the boat that struck the manatees. Although I'm not sure, they seemed to say the propeller wounds were typically just superficial and typically not deadly if the boat hull didn't strike them.

Given how friendly the manatees are and how much they like to be pet on their stomachs, it's hard to imagine a scuba diver would scare them. They really are gentle giants that seem to love the human contact. It was a huge privilege to snorkel with them. It was a genuine great experience that really made me appreciate them and see the need for their protection in the winter due to the fact that they would die in open ocean because of the temperatures (again according to our guides).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom