Question Blue Steel Faber FX Series HP 100 vs XS Scuba Faber HP 100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, I know the old saying “if it seems too good to be true....”, so what am I missing here Faber Hot Dip Galvanized High Pressure Steel Tank ? I know I’ll have to pay for VIP and fill after they arrive, and possibly a hydro, but shipping is free. Thats $389 a tank, after tax, plus the fill and VIP.
Seems too good to be true....

So, I know the old saying “if it seems too good to be true....”, so what am I missing here Faber Hot Dip Galvanized High Pressure Steel Tank ? I know I’ll have to pay for VIP and fill after they arrive, and possibly a hydro, but shipping is free. Thats $389 a tank, after tax, plus the fill and VIP.

Unless you’re 4’10”, a HP80 is a tiny, awful tank to dive. Have you seen them?

As to Scuba.com, very reputable vendor. Formerly LeisurePro.

Unless you’re 4’10”, a HP80 is a tiny, awful tank to dive. Have you seen them?

As to Scuba.com, very reputable vendor. Formerly LeisurePro.
Sorry, I should have mentioned this, if you scroll down a little it lets you choose which size tank. The pricing I gave is for the hp100.
And, I agree. I’ve done a lot of business with Leisure Pro over the years and have always been a satisfied customer. Just not sure how they can sell them for such a low price.

Sorry, I should have mentioned this, if you scroll down a little it lets you choose which size tank. The pricing I gave is for the hp100.
And, I agree. I’ve done a lot of business with Leisure Pro over the years and have always been a satisfied customer. Just not sure how they can sell them for such a low price.

Great price!

I’m half tempted but I already own 4 Worthington HDG HP100s & 2 AL80s just for myself (wife doesn’t dive). Don’t really need 1-2 more HP100s. But at that price……

Regarding HDG vs. Painted, the way I typically look at it, if buying used and you are getting a screaming deal and they look acceptable, painted are fine. If I'm paying the money to buy a new steel tank, I will ALWAYS pay more and get HDG. If I'm buying a brand new tank, it is a long-term investment. I want the best tank possible that will last me for decades.

Regarding the valves, I'm not a fan of the blue steel valves but they work just fine. I replace my valves at every hydro, so I view the valve as an expendable item and don't get too hung up on which one they come with. At hydro (or one of the VIPs), I'd swap out the blue steel for a better valve.

Looking to buy a couple of Faber HP 100s and am coming up against these 2 choices. What’s the difference between them, if any, besides after manufacturers name brand. I’ve been on the look out for used in my area for the past 2 years and have had no luck, so I’m looking at new. Please, someone, prove me wrong and give me a link to some in New England, 😝.

While I’m at it, is it worth buying HDG over triple dip given that I‘m doing around 10 dives locally per year, 20 if my wife really does start diving locally, and not just vacations? After each dive, my tanks soak in a tub of warm fresh water, and are then dried thoroughly.

Let the games begin!

Erik
FInst, the difference between the two tanks is one has a pro valve and one doesnt. The tanks themselves are the same. In my opinion, the pro valve is much better and what I use. It is convertible from din to yolk (which is great for resale), it turns smoother, doesnt require as many turns to full on (1 1/2 turns) and it also has the indicator of whether your gas is on or off. It’s worth the few extra dollars.

As far as galvanized, i dont think it is worth the money. I dive 2-4 times a week with each one being a two tank dive on a boat in south Florida. My tanks go in and out of my trunk or truck, get banged around on the boat and I use a steel backplate. The tanks have a couple nicks in them but overall they look good and are holding up fine. So long as you take care of your tanks (rinse them, keep gas’s in them) they will last for 50 years. When I bought my tanks, even my dive shop said it wasn’t worth it to buy the galvanized (and they do sell them).

As for buying on Scuba.com, overall they are a great company but i try to support the local dive shop. Yes, the tank prices are the awesome, but there are some hidden fees. First, you will need to get it VIP’d at your local dive shop so that is an extra $15-$20. In addition, if you are using the tank for Nitrox, your local dive shop will require you to get it O2 cleaned and that is another $60. By the time you are done, the price is close to a local dive center price.

In addition, many dive shops wil give you a bunch of free fills when buying a tank. The shop I deal with in South Florida, Undersea Sports, gives you 1 year of unlimited fills when you buy a tank. Even if you only dive 10 dives a year, that is about $100 savings

Plus O2 cleaning for nitrox, which is another $60. No reputable shop will VIP these tanks for Nitrox without doing an o2 cleaning.

And before anyone says it, its silly to invest in a brand new and and not have it ready for nitrox, even if you dont regularly dive nitrox. Contrary to popular belief, you can fill nitrox tanks with air so long as you are dealing with a reputable dive center that cleans their banks and air compressor

FInst, the difference between the two tanks is one has a pro valve and one doesnt. The tanks themselves are the same.

The Blue Steel valves that come on the Scuba.com Fabers are convertible Pro valves. They have the removable insert and can be used with DIN regs. It is true that they are not as nice as the Pro valve that comes on the XS Scuba version, but they do work just fine.

Back
Top Bottom