Blue Water Filter, there is an alternative!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Empty V

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
There's always the question of "Is there an alternative to the UR Pro filters?" and I have your solution. This is what I use and it works just as well as any UR Pro blue water filter.

Lee Filters: Gel Sheet 779 Bastard Pink

For my setup this was my only option because of the camera and wide angle adapter I use. I basically cut a strip out and sandwich it in between my camera's lens and the W/A Adapter and one sheet will make an insane amount of filters. I'm sure this solution is not for everyone as some people like the option to flip their filter while filming, obviously I don't have that option but haven't had a need to either.

Billy

Wow, thank you for the info and link. I'll definitely give this a try before I fork out $70.00++ for a URPRO filter. (I still can't believe you can patent a color). Maybe I'll try to patent blue. Then I can sue the sky and ocean and many people with blue eyes for copyright infringement.

Here's another idea. Get a clear filter of the appropriate size for your lens. Cut the gel to fit inside the filter and lay it on.

Wow, thank you for the info and link. I'll definitely give this a try before I fork out $70.00++ for a URPRO filter. (I still can't believe you can patent a color). Maybe I'll try to patent blue. Then I can sue the sky and ocean and many people with blue eyes for copyright infringement.

Here's another idea. Get a clear filter of the appropriate size for your lens. Cut the gel to fit inside the filter and lay it on.

:rofl3: Don't sweat it! Do they really state that they have that color patented? Maybe the name or the filter number but the color? That's nuts!

If I was to get a U/V filter and cut out a piece of gel to fit the inside it would unfortunately be a 102mm filter which would probably have to be custom made. But that is a great idea for people using lenses with a standard thread.

Billy

URPRO only states that the "filter" is patented. A camera filter isn't that complicated. It's got a metal or plastic ring with standard threading. It also has a piece of plastic, gel or glass of a certain type inside the ring. Am I missing anything? You couldn't patent the ring...every filter has one. The only thing left is the plastic, gel or glass. You can't patent any of those things either. So, what's left is the color. If they didn't patent the color I don't know what they patented. I just know that $77.00 + shipping + handling for a 37mm filter is ridiculous.

Have you tried an 85A filter? Does that work?

My experience has been, that in overall it's good to use filter in depths of more than 10 meters. If I'm taking video between 4-10 meters depth, I can get better result by editing colors with video editing software (in my case Sony Vegas Pro).
And in lower levels (less than 4 meters) it's quite ok "as it is".

I'm also diving and taking video in green waters and in blue waters. Basically, the same red colour filter works very well in both. Of course someone can say, that for green waters the filter should be more purple, but that's already art.... ;-)

Thanks for the info on the filters! I looked up the distributers for the Lee Filters on their web site and was able to pick one up locally.

Built a small housing for our home video camera and used the filter on our trip to the Philippines in May/June - the housing worked (to my surprise :shocked: ) and the filter really helped bring out the colors.

We made a short video clip of our dives (has a still in it of me with the video camera from one of the dives: :popcorn:

YouTube - Aquaventure diving

I LOVE Sony Vegas for color correction!

Here's a frame grab from shooting spawning sturgeon. The next is color corrected to pull the tannin stain (yellow) out.

Attachments

• Image0 sm.JPG
    Image0 sm.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Image0 edit1 sm.JPG
    Image0 edit1 sm.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 72
We also produce green and blue water filters if you are looking for an alternative. Take a look on our site or shoot me an email and I can help you out. I look forward to hearing from you.

A question to the fundis: is there any reason that a filter fitted directly to the camera should not work? The reason I ask is that I've considered trying an orange filter such as the inexpensive Kood 37mm one on on my Canon HF100 in a Sealux housing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom