Boat for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScoobieDooo once bubbled...
is large enough so one isn't tossed around like a cork in 2-3 ft swells in Florida?

Something to handle 2-3 foot swells? What are you - a fair weather sailor? :wink:

Marc

We have a 22' twin vee that is used for diving... It's a powercat
http://www.twinvee.com/22cc.htm

It has a 130 hp two-stroke (it also supports dual motors) and it goes about 23 knots on flat water. For those days that aren't so nice it is very stable - however it does not cut through the water as well as a deep V does.

The good thing about using it for diving in choppy waters is that when you finally anchor and are gearing up it doesn't roll very much at all which makes it easier to stand, and for entering the water and climbing the ladder.

Also - it only draws about 12" and we can put the bow right on the beach which makes it easy to load and unload when we don't have access to a dock. In addition it has a lot of deck space (we regularly dive three people and nine tanks off the boat).

FLL Diver,
Last time I was in the Keys one charter didn't even go out due to over 3ft swells...

You want a good boat. Think about how you're going to get off and back on in 3 to 5 foot seas. Think about two engines. If one quits, SEATOW charges $400+ to tow you back in. Think about limited deck space for all the dive gear. We have a 35' MainShip that we dive from June 1st to late October, storms come up almost every afternoon, and we are a very slow boat, but a safe boat. We've plunged our bow completely under waves going in and out of Sebastian and Jupiter Inlets without suffering flooding or damage. Smaller boats would have sunk. Two years ago a tornado caught us going into the Sebastian Inlet, it took our rubber dingy clear out of the water, spun it around and around at the end of its rope before dropping it back upside down behind the boat. We lost our gas tanks, oars, floation devices, and anchor from the dingy. The 5hp motor needed about $300 bucks of work to get it going again. But the MainShip never faultered! Its a good boat.:snack:

I dove several times on a 21 foot cutty cabin and IMO that's about as small as I'd ever go. With 4 people and all our gear it was crowed and in 3 to 4 foot seas it was really rough.

My Father-in-law recently gave me his 23 foot Wellcraft Cutty Cabin. It needed some work and he didn't want to take the time or spend the money. I think it's going to be about right for 4 divers and a driver. I haven't gotten it in the water just yet, hopefully by the start of lobster season, so we'll see how things work.

Scott

Back
Top Bottom