Boca Buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roberie

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking for buddies to dive on weekends. We typically launch from Silver Palm park boat ramp and head north to do reef drift diving. I have trailed the boat to Hillsboro and Boynton inlets. We have dove Captain Dan, Lady Luck and other wrecks in the area.

I have a 24' 2005 Robalo R230. Send email address and I will add you to my current distribution list of buddies. Limit to four divers per trip and one captain (optional). I am open water certified with Nitrox. Safety is first priority. I do ask that everyone help with gas, typically $10-20/trip depends on where we go. I

I would be interested in joining you. I have been boating for many years, so can help operate your boat for drift diving or in an emergency situation. I am Nitrox, Rescue, Deep, Wreck and advanced certified. Coincidentally, I dove Captain Dan and Lady Luck for my deep and wreck certifications this year.

I was under the impression than taking money from people to go in your boat implied all kinds of things and requires certain licenses and insurance.
Also calling for random divers to your private boat is bolsy, you know they'll put all their stuff onboard, feet and all. IJS

I was under the impression than taking money from people to go in your boat implied all kinds of things and requires certain licenses and insurance.
Also calling for random divers to your private boat is bolsy, you know they'll put all their stuff onboard, feet and all. IJS

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your advise and will take precautions. I do understand that inviting people to go does require them to bring their "stuff".

Rob, I volunteer to chip in for fuel. Jeff

The Passenger Vessel Safety Act of 1993 (PVSA) (Pub. L 103–206) was amended in 1999 to allow sharing of expenses. Here is the new/current definition of "consideration"...

"consideration" means an economic benefit, inducement, right, or profit including pecuniary payment accruing to an individual, person, or entity, but not including a voluntary sharing of the actual expenses of the voyage, by monetary contribution or donation of fuel, food, beverage, or other supplies.

Reactions: Ana
Rob, I volunteer to chip in for fuel. Jeff

The Passenger Vessel Safety Act of 1993 (PVSA) (Pub. L 103–206) was amended in 1999 to allow sharing of expenses. Here is the new/current definition of "consideration"...

"consideration" means an economic benefit, inducement, right, or profit including pecuniary payment accruing to an individual, person, or entity, but not including a voluntary sharing of the actual expenses of the voyage, by monetary contribution or donation of fuel, food, beverage, or other supplies.
Thanks for posting that information. I'm sure there's plenty of people that like me, were under the impression that a boat owner would be liable differently once money (or consideration) has been exchanged.

I still believe is ballsy to bring random divers to my vessel, but I'm pretty far out in the anti-social expectrum. To get in my boat you have to come through my house, not something I can consider.

Wish you both great dives.

A boat owner who takes a person on their boat to go diving subjects themselves to being sued for all kinds of potential accidents.

Taking money to such a degree that the coast guard might consider that the boat owner is running an unauthorized charter service is a potential concern, but I’m not so sure that allowing a guy to chip in for $20 of gas necessarily changes the liability the owner/operator has voluntarily subject themselves to.

.... but I’m not so sure that allowing a guy to chip in for $20 of gas necessarily changes the liability the owner/operator has voluntarily subject themselves to.

I wasn't sure either, I saw the initial post openly requesting money and felt like a red flag for operating without proper licenses and/or insurance.
Obviously the $10/20 he's suggesting are far from becoming profit, so I doubt the Coast Guard can ever think he's running a charter, at least not a profitable one.

Agree with the side of opening a can of worms if there's any dive issues, but glad to know the law addresses the potential for any passenger to help out with fuel expenses.
The few people that dive with me know that I rather get a bottle of rum/vodka or maybe a couple of avocados/mangos.

Thank you for all of the useful information. I agree that I will have to take extra precautions to ensure that I am not subjecting myself or family to any legal actions, even with my current buddies. Getting a bottle of rum and/or vodka sounds good.

Back
Top Bottom