Bodies Recovered in School Sink aka Wayne's World, Hudson, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well, according to his board info (which of course is true, because nobody ever fudges that either way...), joseph was certed in jan of this year. draw your own conclusions.

I am very curious as to who you are. You are talking a pretty good game but I am not aware of anyone that was on the phone with you during the recovery operation. I am also not sure where you are getting your information about cave certifications because you are 100% wrong.

Let me first apologize. I wrote this late at night and was apparently not completely clear in my post as to how some of the information came about. The certification levels of these divers were given to me by others NOT on scene and those I trusted to have facts. I will not provide any more "information". I am irritated at the misinformation I was given, irritated that I trusted the sources to find out they were wrong, irritated that I posted misinformation without knowledge, but am trying to be understanding that things were crazy last night. I was not the direct person on the phone, my spouse was and with a couple of different people. Perhaps one or both of us misunderstood, perhaps the information he received was not accurate, but it was all from trusted contacts, so we believed them. Whatever - it is what it is, and ultimately two friends are gone.

Your post was edited to meet ToS compliance, so I can only imagine the not-so-nice things you must have had to say. It is clear I am not welcome here so I will leave. It is sad that a dive community can't come together and help bring the truth out using constructive ways to do so instead of attacking those that are also greiving a loss.

Tragic loose of life this is.

It's unfortunate these things occur, but the hard facts are people will push the envelope at times. It's a sober reminder to us all that we must train and practice often to be as prepared as possible.

Simply being trained in a particular discipline of diving is no guarantee of safety.....very experienced and highly trained divers perish yearly in caves/wreck and o/w, very sadning but it happens.

My heart felt wishes to the families and everyone closely involved in this incident.

<snip>....but I am not aware of anyone that was on the phone with you during the recovery operation.

It appears you yourself are a bit emotional as well right now. I'm sure you were not monitoring and okaying all phone calls and subsequent calls. People talk, share, grieve with one another, come to grips, etc. Essentially it is a chain reaction and I am guessing no one checked with you first before calling others? :idk:

Please rather than attack, as always ends up beneficial to none, let's keep within the spirit of the forums intent and discuss what went went wrong and the preventative measures. :)

It is clear I am not welcome here so I will leave. It is sad that a dive community can't come together and help bring the truth out using constructive ways to do so instead of attacking those that are also greiving a loss.

On the contrary you are more than welcome here.

well, according to his board info (which of course is true, because nobody ever fudges that either way...), joseph was certed in jan of this year. draw your own conclusions.

Indeed, it appears Joe had just completed his OW and started AOW certs as of his post January 16, 2008:

Hi - name is Joe and I have recently (very) completed open water and in advanced course now - love the Florida dive scene and opportunities. The experience is awesome for a grunting old 51 yo retired Navy guy. :coffee: My dive instructor is aweseome and very patient :dork2:. Seriously, scuba is the best sport I have ever participated in and has opportunities all over the world - living proof that it is never too late to enjoy.....

Affiliated with Action Aquatics of Tampa - an awesome small business.

Cheers,
Joe

Last edited:
Easy Chief...

Your buddy even said it himself - "I was not the direct person on the phone"

I am only emotional with the people that feel like they have to be part of something they were not nor know nothing about.

It appears you yourself are a bit emotional as well right now. I'm sure you were not monitoring and okaying all phone calls and subsequent calls. People talk, share, grieve with one another, come to grips, etc. Essentially it is a chain reaction and I am guessing no one checked with you first before calling others? :idk:

Please rather than attack, as always ends up beneficial to none, let's keep within the spirit of the forums intent and discuss what went went wrong and the preventative measures. :)

On the contrary you are more than welcome here.

So can you shed more light on this? Like what their certs were for sure, what went wrong, why were they separated....?

The only level 2 cave certification I am aware of is GUE's Cave 2, which I'm sure they were not. I believe you mean they were Intro/Basic certified based on what I have read on other forums. Actually, I read one was Intro and the other was not even cavern, but that could be misinformation. Regardless, Wayne's World is an advanced cave dive. It is owned by the CDS and the CDS requires a minimum of Abe Davis level (100 safe cave dives post full cave training) before you are given access to the system. That would indicate these 2 divers were trespassing. WW is a deep, dark system where even very experienced cave divers have had issues. I believe it can also be tidally effected. I've never been to Wayne's World, but I have been in systems like it. It is definitely not a place for inexperience.

bpd, I'm not familiar with "lvl 7 cave system". Can you provide me a link to this grading system? Also, do you know if the divers were in single tanks or doubles?

I had inaccurate information regarding their certifications. I have retracted it.

Last edited:
but where does the 7 come from? that's what's confusing.

always sorry to hear stuff like this.

I had inaccurate information regarding their certifications. I have retracted it.

Last edited:
So can you shed more light on this? Like what their certs were for sure, what went wrong, why were they separated....?

I am guessing Walter was part of the recovery team of divers who did the recovery.He will probably not speculate on your questions till he has accurate information if he responds at all. Unlike the other OP who posted hearsay....

Back
Top Bottom