Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you TOOK for the report of events. I also had a "wet" second stage. If you are used to have your tongue as a safegard against salt water swallowing there should be no reason to gulp water. In fact I continued to use it by inhaling carefully. When I realised that the problem would not go away, I switched to my back up. When I was back on the boat, I dismantled the front part of the second stage. The exit membrane was folded and the kink in the rubber was making the valve incompetent. Put it back for another dive. These things happen. Too bad your wife panicked and rushed for the surface. She should have reached her secondary or her beloved buddy :daydream::heart:.

But the story is interesting for all of us. Panick can happen to anybody. Only the frequency varies from one individual to another. Not to speak about the "training/preparedness" to problem solving. :acclaim:

Thank you for the post. I had no idea a regulator could fail in that manner.

Thank you for the post. I had no idea a regulator could fail in that manner.
. I am sure, that you are not the only one :). I did not know until my dive # 850 :).

Another way to get a second stage "wet" - and a more frequent one - is a leak in your mouth piece. So, check it once in awhile?

Thanks guys.. Not to mention the fact that her regulator was 20 years old.... It was maintained but, EVERYTHING has a shelf life!

I've had my purge diaphragm unseat and an exhaust valve fold as described above on 2 separate occasions. Both were easily fixed topside BUT.... when it happens underwater and your mouth is full of water instead of dry air it is always unexpected. But that's why you have a secondary reg. Glad she wasn't permanently hurt. Makes a good case for practicing OOA situations. I also learned how detuned my secondary actually was. Great video btw

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom