Bonaire Dive Shop Practices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This must be a new policy. This has been their cancelation policy for our last 2 January visits at Den Laman, diving with Dive Friends
Cancellation policy
• Cancellation fee of 100.0% is charged if cancelled 7 day(s) or less before the activity
• Cancellation fee of 50.0% is charged if cancelled 14 day(s) or less before the activity
• Cancellation fee of 25.0% is charged if cancelled 30 day(s) or less before the activity

I copied this from our receipt for this past January that I booked in November. We book ahead because my wife doesn’t want to chance not getting the couple of boat dives that we do, and to make check in go quicker.

Erik

Attachments

• IMG_0652.jpeg
    IMG_0652.jpeg
    29.7 KB · Views: 39
That’s from the invoice they sent me! I also emailed them back questioning this and they said I could make the payment later as long as it was no less than a month before!

Attachments

• IMG_0653.jpeg
    IMG_0653.jpeg
    46 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0654.jpeg
    IMG_0654.jpeg
    51.1 KB · Views: 35
The reservation is with Dive Friends. We are staying at Den Laman the first 2 weeks of September. We got a 10% discount for Dive Friends from Sunwise. Our package includes: 12 days of unlimited shore diving, 5 days of 2 tank boat diving, regs and BCD's for 12 days. This is for 2 divers = $2015 = 1007.50 each. This price includes the 10% discount. There is no way we are paying in full with a nonrefundable cancellation policy. I find this so unreasonable!
If I recall from our trip last March, Dive Friends advised us that the Sunwise discount was only available if we paid in full in advance. In other words, the discount is an incentive for paying in full in advance. We did not explore the possibility of refusing the discount and paying on arrival.

That’s from the invoice they sent me! I also emailed them back questioning this and they said I could make the payment later as long as it was no less than a month before!
I have to say that this surprises me. Both times we have payed the full amount up front, but not with that type of cancellation policy. I completely understand your reluctance and your concern. I’m curious if I’ll run into the same thing when I go to book in the fall.

I think we are going to take our chances and book when we get there. That is far too great of a risk for my money. I really hope we get to dive with Dive Friends though. Everything I've heard about them leads me be believe they are good dive op. Also, a big part of the reason we chose Den Laman was the convenience of the onsite dive shop and the boat pick up from the Den Laman dock. Thanks everyone for your input! I really appreciate it! We cant wait to experience Bonaire for the first time.

I think we are going to take our chances and book when we get there. That is far too great of a risk for my money. I really hope we get to dive with Dive Friends though. Everything I've heard about them leads me be believe they are good dive op. Also, a big part of the reason we chose Den Laman was the convenience of the onsite dive shop and the boat pick up from the Den Laman dock. Thanks everyone for your input! I really appreciate it! We cant wait to experience Bonaire for the first time.
This should work out fine. You may be limited in your choice of some boat dive days if they are full. This may be less of risk with their bigger boat, Tiki Diver, in addition to their smaller boats. On out last visit, a second boat came by the Sand Dollar/Den Laman a couple of days to pick up overflow.

Don't forget, you get the great gear room, carts to take your gear down to the pier, and one of the best house reefs on the island, Bari Reef.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom