Bonaire Dive video using GoPro and Sony cybershot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Craig66

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Have posted a 6 min video of RadHal and my trip to Bonaire - forgive the artistic license regarding dive sites. Full review to follow soon

Bonaire May 2012 - YouTube

Craig

Very nice colors and tons of creatures. Excellent footage. Add another place for me to visit for diving.

Great Video! Which housing are you using? Lights, filters, etc. I am considering buying the GoPro and would love to see what your rig looks like.

Love the video! Darn, I'm jealous you got to dive in such a neat place!
I didn't know the GoPro could achieve such great results

Where'd you find the Octo?

The octo amazingly was on Buddy Reef and I believe it is the resident octo that lives in one of the cement mooring blocks. I had seen it on the way out and then amazingly came across it in "full flight" on my return to the pier. I didnt like that I scared it to the point it felt the need to ink me but it was an amazing display given that it was 3pm in the afternoon

---------- Post Merged at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:33 PM ----------

Love the video! Darn, I'm jealous you got to dive in such a neat place!
I didn't know the GoPro could achieve such great results

Thanks, The Gopro2 does give spectacular results but to be fair not all the scenes were from the gopro - about half were from the sony wx-10 that I had as well but when you look at the size and flexibility of the gopro it cant be beat - I also ski a lot in the winter and so it doubles as a great ski pole cam or helmet cam. I am not sure the older gopros give as good results especially since their biggest issue was low light but the gopro2 is a huge improvement in my opinion.

---------- Post Merged at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:33 PM ----------

Great Video! Which housing are you using? Lights, filters, etc. I am considering buying the GoPro and would love to see what your rig looks like.

So the footage is split between my gopro2 and Sony DSC WX-10. The gopro is the gopro2 and the housing for the Gopro was the Backscatter - I had tried the Snake River housing which was also very good but the issue with the snake river product is that the filter can not be taken off at depth or shallower than 20 feet whereas with backscatter it can be removed with ease and replace. I also have the rear monitor which really helps with tracking and framing and did not use as much battery power as I had read that it did especially if you are prepared to open your casing and change battries between dives. DO keep a rubber band over the latch as I have read of instances of it opening up.

Mount 1 - 3 feet of PVC piping with a telescoping mount taped to it. Also doubled as a walking stick to stop me falling over in some of the more challenging entries. Looked a little like Moses coming out of the reeds

Mount 2 - Day mount was a PVC mount I made - see picture below but in reality it was the closer handles that worked better and I removed the further handles and so it was smaller and easier

For the Sony DSC WX-10 I have the ikelite housing - no mount

For night dives the Sola light and sola mount for either of the two cameras although if you use the go pro at night dont use the super wide angle as it is so wide angle that the FOV falls outside of even a flood light sola

photo 1.jpg

Nice viddy!. Getting a Sola light for trip coming up. Real curious about how one would make one of your telescoping pvc units to assist with entrys.

Nice viddy!. Getting a Sola light for trip coming up. Real curious about how one would make one of your telescoping pvc units to assist with entrys.

Octopuppy, it is not really telescoping but consists of 2 two foot pvc poles that are joined with a joiner. That can be picked up from Home Depot for a total of 99c for all 3. Two 2 foot poles can easily be pulled apart for traveling and then put together when you arrive and it is bcs they are not telescoping that they work so well as a support as well. Please note that I am only 5'4" and so 4 feet of PVC was a good support length for me LOL. The PVC actually has pretty good bouyancy and little effort needed. To attach the gopro you need a telescoping monopod which got taped to the end of the PVC pipe with electricians tape. The monopod can be bought on ebay for $10.00. I do something very similar with my ski poles in the winter.

Self Portrait Camera Handheld Monopod Telescopic Extender | eBay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom