Bonaire for newbies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The first time I went Bonaire (4 trips ago, 5th in December) I was thinking I would need a guide. Definitely didn't and now never step on a boat with a DM. Navigation is very easy, shallow is nearer shore, deeper away from shore. I would suggest doing some boat dives to get to the Klein Bonaire and some of the non-shore diveable sites but not because you need a guide. Some say you will have a DM with you on your checkout dive, I have never seen that. They give you your weights, you go see if you can descend, if not back to get more and that is the end of it.

You will have a great time!

For newbies, a dive guide is not such a bad idea, hence my recommendation for some boat dives.

It took me more than a few years of diving to be able to spot macro critters like frog fish, seahorses, etc. so having a trained observer in the water with you with good eyes can enhance the experience.
I agree that most of the diving in Bonaire is easy enough that even for newbies, a guide is not absolutely essential, just a bonus if available and affordable.
Great diving either way.

Have never seen a DM in the water on an orientation dive.

Thank you so much for all the tips, I am writing them all down 😊

The first time I went Bonaire (4 trips ago, 5th in December) I was thinking I would need a guide. Definitely didn't and now never step on a boat with a DM. Navigation is very easy, shallow is nearer shore, deeper away from shore. I would suggest doing some boat dives to get to the Klein Bonaire and some of the non-shore diveable sites but not because you need a guide. Some say you will have a DM with you on your checkout dive, I have never seen that. They give you your weights, you go see if you can descend, if not back to get more and that is the end of it.

You will have a great time!

Had you ever done a shore dive (anywhere) before that first trip to Bonaire?

I had done many boat dives by the time of my first trip to Bonaire, but no shore dives, and I (perhaps irrationally, perhaps not) found the whole idea of shore diving intimidating. "You mean I just park the truck somewhere, set my gear up on the shore, and walk into the water?" It seemed like a whole different world than on a boat, where the crew lets you know just where and when to get into the water, briefs you about the site, tells you to be back at a certain time, etc. That first time in Bonaire it was like I had to, for the first time, be a real diver! :wink:

I never did a boat dive until I was certified. After that I was on a boat for a couple dives in Kauai and followed the DM closely. My first dive in Bonaire was one of the alleged check out dives which I did with my daughter. Later that day I was on a boat dive and then another shore dive off of the pier. It is seriously so easy I was like why was I thinking I would need a guide. If I was diving the east side I would get one, on the west side, no point.

Cakicha,

I would assume that if you're staying at Dive Hut, you're diving with Wannadive. If that's the case, a guided shore dive would cost the same as a boat dive. It might be good to do a few of those to get your feet wet to shore diving.

I never did a boat dive until I was certified. After that I was on a boat for a couple dives in Kauai and followed the DM closely. My first dive in Bonaire was one of the alleged check out dives which I did with my daughter. Later that day I was on a boat dive and then another shore dive off of the pier. It is seriously so easy I was like why was I thinking I would need a guide. If I was diving the east side I would get one, on the west side, no point.

That's good that you were introduced to shore diving so early. Because I was not, for years I harbored a strong association between diving and boats. In my mind, to dive, you jumped off a boat--with a crew there to support you and a boat waiting for you at the end. I wish someone had introduced me to shore diving earlier, because it really IS easy. You just have to remember to plan your dive, including understanding how best to do the entry and exit, observe the wave pattern, etc. A copy of Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy helped.

Had you ever done a shore dive (anywhere) before that first trip to Bonaire?

I had done many boat dives by the time of my first trip to Bonaire, but no shore dives, and I (perhaps irrationally, perhaps not) found the whole idea of shore diving intimidating. "You mean I just park the truck somewhere, set my gear up on the shore, and walk into the water?" It seemed like a whole different world than on a boat, where the crew lets you know just where and when to get into the water, briefs you about the site, tells you to be back at a certain time, etc. That first time in Bonaire it was like I had to, for the first time, be a real diver! :wink:

Agree! Even after many dives on Bonaire, my wife and I found ourselves at one southern site and no trucks visible, north or south, for well over a mile. Probably a Sat. AM when many divers are departing and no new arrivals yet. We looked at each other and said, almost simultaneously, "I guess we have the pool to ourselves." It was a bit intimidating that first time we walked into the water, nobody around, and just disappeared for an hour. What if the "for an hour" part decided not to participate? Who would know?

Heys guys!

I'm still a bit nervous though, do you guys have some tips for us? Would it be a better idea to do some boat dives first?

Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy:
  1. Drive along the road until you see a yellow painted rock; park your truck and don your gear
  2. Walk into the water
  3. Submerge to ~40ft or so and slowly swim to the left (or right) for approx 15-20min
  4. Ascend to ~25ft or so, turn around, and slowly swim to the right (or left) for approx 15-20min
  5. Turn towards shore and slowly swim along the bottom until the water is approx ~3-4ft deep or so
  6. Walk out of the water, get back in your truck, and begin process again at Step 1

RJP,

Logistically, is there anything else I should be prepared for after parking. For example, I've read enough of tripadvisor and sb to believe that I should park the truck with windows down or unlocked (or risk getting broken into) leaving the extra tanks in the back. At the same time, I'm imagining needing to either bring some drinks/snacks, extra batteries for gopro? or at least a couple small tools/emergency kits to the beach. Is this what you guys are doing or recommend doing? Are things left on beach fairly secure? If not, can you give me a list of what you recommend bringing in the truck. And what you suggest to leave behind.

Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy:
  1. Drive along the road until you see a yellow painted rock; park your truck and don your gear
  2. Walk into the water
  3. Submerge to ~40ft or so and slowly swim to the left (or right) for approx 15-20min
  4. Ascend to ~25ft or so, turn around, and slowly swim to the right (or left) for approx 15-20min
  5. Turn towards shore and slowly swim along the bottom until the water is approx ~3-4ft deep or so
  6. Walk out of the water, get back in your truck, and begin process again at Step 1

Back
Top Bottom