Trip Report Bonaire March 2024–Dead reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure why you would bait folks but not reveal the better sites. Keeping them to yourself for another year?
I understand completely. 1. Protecting the little that is left from asshats and too much traffic. And 2. Darm straight. Keep it to yourself.

I found an unmarked site a while back that no one, not even the dive shops, know anout. It's pristing and you actually think I'm going to give directions. Grow up.

No one will ever tell you their favorite spot. Go ask a fisherman or a hunter where there favorite spot is and watch the laughter.

Part of the process is finding YOUR favorite spot. Or your favorite spot this trip.

Sad to say…the reefs of Bonaire are dead. Currently in Bonaire—last here 5 years ago. The change is dramatic, in a bad and sad way. We dove Klein Bonaire, Salt Pier, and a house reef. All in terrible condition. Dead reef everywhere. If I had know this in Nov 2023 when I prepared my trip, I would have canceled. I think the Caribbean is doomed due to SCTLD and climate change. Only two green dive sites at the Southern tip. All others are orange and red. Cozumel and the East end of Cayman are better than Bonaire.

Trying Karpata, 1,000 Steps, and more boat dives off of Klein Bonaire tomorrow. I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised, but not counting on it.

My recommendation: cancel if you have plans to dive Bonaire (and can still cancel). Sad situation. Don’t believe it if you hear that the reefs are nice. Ask for photos.
Like they said in Monte Python ... I'm not dead yet.

Attachments

• DSC00326.jpg
    DSC00326.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 17
  • banded coral shrimp.jpg
    banded coral shrimp.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 1-26-24.jpeg
    1-26-24.jpeg
    221.2 KB · Views: 17
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back