BONAIRE REPORT-aug 28th-sept 4th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

siegelreptiles

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just got back from my third trip to bonaire. Had the whole family of 9 and only 5 divers. We did 15 dives, not as many as I like, but had a good time. Overall visibility was the worse I have ever seen in bonaire, a couple of dives were just horrible. Someone mentioned a coral spawn going on causing this, but not sure. We did the hilma one day and could barely make out the ship until we were very close to it. Still-bonaire on a bad day is better then alot of places on a good day. This time we rented a house in sabadeco and is was very luxurious. We used ab car rentals and they were quick to fix a problem and I would highly reccomend them. We used wannadive again for our tanks and like them.
The best dives this trip--

taylor made--awesome dive--great visibility--lush reef-

baby beach-got some low waves and went for it--awesome dive-saw a 5ft reef shark-big tiger grouper-lobster-lots and lots of southern rays

hilma hooker-had a nice second dive and saw a giant lobster under the hull-

the invisibles--best dive of the trip-outside the second ledge in about 95ft we saw big grouper--lots of them--leopard rays-tarpon-big cubera-very nice dive

bari reef--almost forgot--always my favorite---Bari reef night dive--not for the reef, but for the tarpon--I LOVE swimming with the big tarpon at that spot. Just an amazing experience. They are almost mammalian like when swimming with them. Seeing them eat and play and chase the smaller fish.

FISHING

went out with chris one morning-piscatur--caught a few cudas and lost a monster wahoo offshore

went out solo bonefish fly fishing and caught only one--missed about 4-

FOOD
carols/zeezicht was great--was my familys favorite

patagonia--good--felt like it was a bit overpriced and got mauled by the biters

wannadive bbq--always fun, cheap and tasty

malky snack-my favorite-order fish soup-ran my spoon through it and entire dog snapper tail and last 1/3 of body and entrails floats up--was like something out of an indiana jones movie---I have eaten all over the world and it ranks up as one of the most disgusting things I have seen put on a plate in front of me. AWESOME!--was actually quite delicious. Also had the ribs--Goat maybe? They were good.

the day before we left--bonaire bike week started, so we got to see all the bikes be unloaded off the cargo ships. Motorcycles were everywhere. Was quite a sight to see.

the trip was great---its one of the few places that I travel to that at the end of the week, I find myself not wanting to leave. Just like the island and everything it has going for it.

59376_1483884031205_1657009181_1140053_4040061_n.jpg

58904_1483883751198_1657009181_1140050_6974831_n.jpg

46787_1483884591219_1657009181_1140063_829372_n.jpg

30218_1378798724138_1657009181_875087_4442013_n.jpg

here is a link to some more pics

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=48705&id=1657009181&l=c287a87128

Nice shots Ben..looks like all in your group had a really fun time! Personally I prefer the top side shots. Sometimes the viz becomes markedly decreased due to upwelling current from the depths as well as coral spawning. Either occurrence could have explained the decreased viz which you experienced.
We were there in July and on some dives had 100 foot viz down south (unfortunately with a 2 knot current).

Hey Ben thanks for the heads up, cool you had such a good time. Especially cool you got to dive Baby Beach. Viz still is a bit down but improving. I'll keep you posted (uhm jealous HA!!)
Bart

thanks Bart---

Thanks for all the tanks as well!

5 divers 15 dives approx-approx 75 tanks-only had to change 3 o rings and had no low tanks---That is a pretty good ratio that made our trip that much more enjoyable. I dove with another operator my first trip to bonair and ran out of orings by the second day and had to buy them twice with 2 divers!

Also--always enjoy the wannadive bbq---good stuff

Hope the viz is improved by Oct 2 for 7-days of diving from Divi Flamingo Resort. What was your average water temps during your dives?

Thanks for the report! 3 weeks to go!!

That is good news for water temps. Hopefully, I can get away with using only my 0.5 m suit for the entire week. My first trip there was January of 2007 with water temps 76-78 degrees.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom