bonaire rum??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When we went to Bonaire a couple of years ago, we purchased Appleton Estates rum from Jamaica. It is the best I have ever had. It is so smooth you can almost drink it without a mix.

I couldn't find it at the duty free on Bonaire this last trip but I did get 2 more bottles on the Air Jamaica flight home.

MBJ is Montego Bay Jamaica.

We were introduced to Appelton Estate on a trip to St Lucia and love it for sipping rum too. Also - we discovered Sangster Rum Creme in the AJ duty free book and wish we had gotten more.

The drive through liquor store in Bonifay Florida carried Estate and the norm was to stop for a bottle on every trip to PC. The guy who owns the store accused us of starting a trend because our friends started stopping too.

Now the stores in Alabama carry it.

I think one of the best rums I have tasted was Flor de Cana in Honduras. I found it once in a store in Illinois but haven't seen any since. Guess I have to plan a trip to the Bay Islands.

Pussers rum (blue label) out of the British West Indies is my favorite. The Appletons Estate is another good rum. I use Tortuga Gold rum from Cayman Islands in my rum cakes. Of course, a little for the cake, a little for me, a little for the cake. . .

Try find some Pampiero Anniversario...$28-30 a bottle in the US, I think it can be found for $8-12 in Bonaire. It's the best rum I've had, and I've tied any new rum I find everywhere I go....slight caramel taste, VERY smooth...drink it on the rocks, it's great!
Malibu, Capt. Morgn, etc. are bilge water/kerosene compared to it!

dvrliz1:
Herman,

The Antillean Wine Company. There website is http://www.antilleanwine.com They are excellent and will order whatever you want or need. I love them because I am allergic to sulfites (sp?) and they bother me. I can drink red wine on Bonaire as they don't have them!

I am a home winemaker, and I would like to address the sulfite issue here. There are several prominent myths about sulfites I would like to address.

First of all, almost all wines have sulfites--without them, the shelf life would be measured in months. Many people think that only red wines have sulfites, but not only do white wines have them, sweeter white wines have much more than a typical red wine.

Sulfites are used in preservatives in many foods. Dried fruit is loaded with them.

Allergies to sulfites are extremely rare, so it is highly unlikely that you are allergic to them. People do have allergies to wines, but it is rarely to the sulfites. If you have trouble with red wines more than whites, then it is likely caused by one or both of the two main ingrediants found in reds but not whites.
  1. Histamines: This is by far the most likely cause of trouble. That is why most allergy remedies contain antihistamines.
  2. Tannins: The red color comes from the skins, and the skins contain tannins. Somepeople are allergic to these.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom