Bonaire - security?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you guys think its wise to go to bonaire right now with a lady friend who is a non-diver, is it safe with all these thugs around (you guys have spoken of in these posts)? I'd be doing a lot of diving, and she'd be hanging around topside while I am diving. I'm just starting to get second thoughts about this trip, I mean not because I think we have a high probability of getting stolen from, but just because it sucks to always have to watch your things incessantly, kind of like on oahu!

funkyspelunker:
Do you guys think its wise to go to bonaire right now with a lady friend who is a non-diver, is it safe with all these thugs around (you guys have spoken of in these posts)? I'd be doing a lot of diving, and she'd be hanging around topside while I am diving. I'm just starting to get second thoughts about this trip, I mean not because I think we have a high probability of getting stolen from, but just because it sucks to always have to watch your things incessantly, kind of like on oahu!

Make up your mind. Are you worried about an assault? Get a grip- aint gonna happen.

Bonaire is a fabulous dive destination. Let her get a sun tan and watch the car.

I was more worried about just not having as good of a time there because we'd have to constantly be looking after all our things, I do that anyways but the posts on this board about bonaire make it sound like a gaggle of theives are following you 10 paces behind at all times.

funkyspelunker:
I was more worried about just not having as good of a time there because we'd have to constantly be looking after all our things, I do that anyways but the posts on this board about bonaire make it sound like a gaggle of theives are following you 10 paces behind at all times.

Nah, that's Quito.

Looks like you have the perfect gear watcher.

AggieDiver:
The police there don't care, and as evidenced by the use of the laptop for a week, they are most likely a major part of the problem. Anywhere else, everybody realizes that crime is a major deterrent to tourism, but on Bonaire, it is accepted as status quo and nobody cares. The locals and the police on Bonaire know damn well who the thieves are, and they know who and where they sell their booty. They just don't care to make any effort to fix it.

It's obviously a Government/Tourism Board Issue.

If there's pressure from us, it will be resolved.

Pressure = Boycott (aint gonna happen)

The local government did propose a "Dive Van" (selling drinks and save-a-dive cr@p)that would be at specific shore dive sites at specific times... inferring a security observer would be there as a 'crime watcher'. Yeah, they watched, allright. It went away.

1 Police marksman, 1 tall hill, 1 bullet per month.

Next?

funkyspelunker:
I'd go...

On one hand, in a week of shore diving, more than once when our truck was the only vehicle in sight for hours, we never had any problems. I think most of the "thugs" are young bored kids who've learned to act when they see divers disappear u/w. Frankly with your LF hanging around up top, I would not worry about leaving stuff in the truck. And I wouldn't be concerned at all for her safety there. Unless you go really far to the south or possibly some of the more obscure sites up north, there will typically be other divers within visual distance at another site, some of them are so close together that the yellow rock markers share the entrance. And to the south, it's really flat, so you can see a long way.

On the other hand, we did have a visible night watchman at our condo. We did the typical things you'd do at night, lock the doors and moved our gear from the truck to our locker nightly, we left tanks wherever they were all week as they don't get touched, no diveshop will fill someone else's tanks, so they're left alone. Nothing different than what I'd do at any other vacation location, diving or not.

I had the same feelings you do though, you're always conscious of not leaving valuables in the car, even for a few minutes. On the other hand, how often do you leave your scuba gear or anything valuable in your unlocked car at home?

It's such a quiet, peaceful place that I'm often surprised to read of others having problems, both here and on bonairetalk. I live in Phoenix and it's so routine to hear of assault, robbery and daily murder that you become immune to it.

If you read some of the threads on bonairetalk, there are descriptions of isolated robberies and theft, but there must be hundreds(thousands?) more in a place like Nassau or Honolulu, that don't get reported. I remember the first time we went to Maui, I was surprised when warned not to leave stuff in the car while diving either, even at busy public beach areas.

I felt a lot safer in Bonaire than I would in Phoenix at night. I never felt unsafe in Kralendijk, even at night, or that I was in any danger, most of the local people were very friendly, even one guy I saw several nights in a row that I'm sure was the closest thing to a homeless person they have on Bonaire.

my .02

Steve

I can cope with having an old T shirt stolen from a truck but incidents such as this http://www.bonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/36/185477.html?1098654857 (warning-graphic photo of an assault victim) make me wonder if I want to go there or not. The police do not seem to be doing a good job. I know that there are any number of places in the US that are much worse but that is not the point,I would be going to dive and relax,not spend all my time watching my back.

ianr33:
I can cope with having an old T shirt stolen from a truck but incidents such as this http://www.bonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/36/185477.html?1098654857 (warning-graphic photo of an assault victim) make me wonder if I want to go there or not. The police do not seem to be doing a good job. I know that there are any number of places in the US that are much worse but that is not the point,I would be going to dive and relax,not spend all my time watching my back.

Keep reading, these guys have been caught and are now in jail. I have made 7 trips to Bonaire since 99 and have the 3rd this this year planned in a few weeks. I have had no problems at all. I had the misfortune to have to overnight in Jamaica a few years ago, that place is scary. Sirens all night long.
As for leaving someone on shore I would be much more concerned about them in the heat and dehydrating than being mugged. The shore dives on Bonaire are not shaded so anyone remaining on the beach is going to have to set in the sun for the duration of the dive. There are 2 or 3 exceptions to the no shade problem and the shoreline is not flat and sandy. They are rough, rocky and covered with broken coral. Non divers are really best left back at the resort, they and most likely you, will be much happier.
If you are still concerned and want to leave someone on the beach, this is an option (I think they are still running), the Dive Bus stops at various sites during the week and stays there all day. It's also a good option if you are solo diving. http://www.bonphototours.com/webenglish/duikbus.htm

I am a Canadian from Moncton New Brunswick who now lives, dives, and works in Curacao (Bonaire's next door neighbor). I have not yet had the opportunity to get to Bonaire, but would not hesitate to go as soon as I can. Being in very close proximity (40 miles to the west) to Bonaire, we of course hear about the issues.

Yes there are issues with poverty and theft here on Curacao as well, but with a little common sense about security in a foreign place you should be fine. There will always be the unlucky ones that have a problem, but that can happen anywhere.

As far as the police go, well here in Curacao, they are about as useless as… Life here is very laid back and relaxed and the police make the most of this buy being the epitome of lazy.

As mentioned many times in this thread, personal safety is no more of a concern that it would be in any other place. Eliminate opportunity by not leaving valuables lying around and you should have no problems.

This thread however does cause me some concern because of the potential deterrent it gives to the local area.

I will be sending a link to this thread to the local tourism office to let them see what the world diving population thinks of Bonaire.

I was in Bonaire in May and had no problems. Someone in our group "lost" some DVD's during the flight and airport changes that he had packed in his bags. We were told by another group at a dive site that they did have something stolen, but I would still go back to Bonaire in a heartbeat. The diving was fabulous!

Get equipment insurance. These things are material objects anyway... and can always be replaced.

astrl

Back
Top Bottom